How do I paint without getting drips?

jaffa77, Nov 27, 8:08am
I am having trouble with paint drips on some dining chairs that I am applying one of those combined stain-varnish products to. I have done them twice so far and each time have ended up with drips that mean they are not up to the standard I want. So now I am faced with doing this job for the third time but have zero motivation for it as I don't know what to do differently to get a better finish. Can anyone suggest anything? I have been using a brush but wonder if I would be better using one of those foam pads. There is not that much surface area to apply the product to as the chairs have upholstered backs and cushions but it is quite fiddly as there are lots of surfaces. I am tempted to give up and just pay someone to do this but I am not sure that I would find anyone who would be interested in doing such a small job. Thanks in advance for anything you can suggest.

gabbysnana, Nov 27, 8:10am
Experience and too much product on the brush and not feathering each application.

survivalkiwi, Nov 27, 8:18am
There is a reason pianting is a trade.

jaffa77, Nov 27, 10:00am
Thanks for the replies and to you Grangies for taking the time to find that listing for me. I did have a look in the services section but wouldn't have thought of looking under automotive. I might contact them tomorrow. I think that painting is one of those things that anyone thinks they should be able to do but sometimes it takes more than just dabbing to get an acceptable result.

johotech, Nov 27, 10:17am
When you say "drips", do you mean runs in the paint?

hazelnut2, Jul 19, 6:42pm
Fitting the upholstery is usually the last step in renovating a chair frame. Can you remove it? If not, you will have to mask it. If you mean 'runs' it's because there was too much paint on the brush/paint catching on the corners of the chair. Paint from the middle to the edge every stroke. Look back over your work before you move to the next bit.

I absolutely love using sponge applicators to paint. .I think they are a great invention. Give them a try. A single long swipe can cover so much faster than any paintbrush, but if you compress the sponge on the sharp corners of any item it will also squeeze the paint out of the sponge and cause runs.