Measuring hot water energy usage

timbo69, Jun 15, 5:16pm
I wana spec a hot water solar system to my actual usage, how can I measure how many kw/h per month for a few months im using? preferably non-intrusively and cheaply , I dont have much use for it once I have this info.
Thanks tim

cammey, Jun 15, 7:37pm
Your hot water will usually be listed on your power bill. For what its worth, I have a 2.5kw solar array, that is wired to the bottom element on my 300l dual element hot water cylinder. Even this time of year, we have adequate hot water without having to fire up the mains powered top element. But there are only two in the house.

timbo69, Jun 15, 8:58pm
No I dont really need to measure it but Most seem to estimate that a 1/3 our bill is hot water I reckon mine is higher as the rest of my consumption is LED lights and cooking, appliances and a water pump. I like facts before making decisions

My power bill has three readings : Anytime/Anytime and controlled the controlled part cost me $28 last month - are you saying this is my hot water usage?

trade4us2, Jun 15, 9:56pm
My hot water element is 3000 watts, which is too much for a 10 amp power point and too much for that device.

p.monro, Jun 16, 12:57am
Yes I think that is probably correct, assuming that you only have hot water connected to your controlled supply, but you should request an answer to that question from your power company.

timbo69, Jun 16, 1:24am
If thats the case $28 isnt going to pay back a $3500 investment for over 10+ years and I wont bother! I will ask the power company to confirm

directorylist, Jun 16, 1:51am
depends on how its wired up.

Controlled is usually your hotwater but not always.

jonners2013, Jun 16, 2:12am
If you need to replace your cylinder anyway, then sure go for a solar system but if your current one is working fine then no it's not going to stack up financially to remove it and put a solar system in.

timbo69, Jun 16, 4:16am
The $3500 is using my current cylinder and apparently isn't worth it regardless.

p.monro, Dec 15, 5:53am
Yes still not very attractive is it. The cheapest solar installation is for the cells directly connected DC to the element with no invertor. But even a 2kw installation is still marginal in return.
In a few years, when the Teslar battery is proven reliable and appliances are sold for DC use, my prediction is that houses will be converted to 110VDC and be grid free.