Who has a stove / hob under a window? Extractor?

ravo, Jul 5, 7:04am
And what do you do about extraction? A rangehood would look odd with a window behind it and those pop-up bench top extractors seem noisy and very expensive.

If you have your cooktop under a window I would love to see a picture!

johotech, Jul 5, 9:59am
Who's bright idea was it to put it under the window?

ravo, Jul 5, 10:04am
ha ha it's not under the window at the moment, but we are rearranging our kitchen and if I can't put it in front of a window then I can't have a lovely big wide oven / stove and would have to compromise on size and put it in a corner.

vivac, Jul 5, 10:04pm
You could hang a ceiling mount extractor from the ceiling or just extract from the ceiling, but this wont work very well.

hazelnut2, Jul 6, 12:06am
My stove is halfway under the window, so I installed a hob with a curved glass 'steam catcher'. The exhaust vent goes up the wall right on the very edge of the window and one edge of the glass just sits against my pantry, while the other edge is in the windowspace, but because it's glass, it blends in. It was a retro-fit so I was really pleased when it all squished in. There is an exhaust available which you can swing from side to side.

Edited to add photo. took a minute to remember how! lol
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/395116768.jpg

ravo, Jul 6, 2:13am
Thanks guys, guess i have more options than I thought!

johotech, Jul 6, 4:20am
Have a think about a separate oven and cooktop. Generally the "range hood" is only required over the cooktop.

As you can see from the photo Hazelnut posted, having it across the window isn't the prettiest option.

Also, one of the more serious problems with it being under a window, is the fire risk from the curtains. Also shown in the photo.

lissie, Jul 6, 5:01am
I've had a stove under a window before - no extractor - I just opened the window when Iwas cooking. No curtain either - for obvious reasons

jonners2013, Jul 6, 5:29am
does it meet the code if you remodel the kitchen and move things around but don't put in a rangehood? i would have thought it's required.

johotech, Jul 6, 5:41am
A rangehood is not a requirement.
Even having it under a window isn't illegal.
There are specific clearance requirements if it has a gas cooktop though.

ravo, Jul 6, 8:36am
Yeah it's just the cooktop that's the issue - I think I'll just put it in the corner and have the oven somewhere else. Not as pretty as having it all together though.

sparkyz, Jul 6, 9:48am
What about making the window smaller?

ravo, Jul 6, 9:51am
Thought about making window smaller but the cost seems to be getting a bit out of control and I like the natural light.

avoking, Jul 6, 10:17pm
Plenty of ideas and photos in recent House and Garden magazines.
- above head
- downdraft - both back and side ones
- in wall extractors
- the 'pop' out/up ones are really neat, common overseas. The Kitchen Things showrooms have really nice ones (they do cost more but they are very quiet and have good extraction capacity, some models more than the classic overhead styles).

timbo69, Nov 28, 9:57pm
Dont bother with extraction - just open the window.