Power points in kitchen

vomo2, Oct 22, 2:55am
We are having a new kitchen put in but have to move the powerpoints. Has anyone fitted ones that pop up from the bench?

ryanm2, Oct 22, 3:10am
They are really expensive, installed them once and cannot see any great benefits unless your island bench is 5m long. Cool to show your friends, once.

jonners2013, Oct 22, 3:27am
^ I agree. I can recall seeing them in 3 homes over the past year or so and each time they were just left in the up positions

underconstructy, Oct 22, 3:34am
They were pretty popular and cool about 5 years ago. I haven't seen any on a set of drawings in at least 3 years. Wouldn't have them they offer no great advantage.

fordcrzy, Oct 22, 8:30am
They are SUPER EXPENSIVE. youd get more asthetic from a nice powerpoint on the wall

lissie, Oct 22, 9:04am
They take up a fair amount of space under neath too -space more useful for storage - expensive gimmic

rojill, Oct 22, 9:09am
Would suggest that only people short on grey matter would specify these popup power points. Also understand they have a life span of only 4 to 8 years, dependant on frequency of use.

t_naki, Oct 23, 6:39am
I have put a couple in and you can actually get them quite cheap now that they have been around for a while. The last one I saw was fitted by the joiner when he made the bench and I just wired a single plug under the bench and it plugged in. I cant remember exactly how much it was but it was around the $75 and looked very smart. It was used on a island bench where there was no wall to put a socket.

I always advise people against putting sockets on the end of the island, especially with small children. I was on a job when a girl pulled on a jug cord that was plugged into one and the jug of water fell onto her. Luckily the jug had only just been turned on so the water was only warm but a minute later and she would have been a different story. Needless to say I promptly removed those points and they got a pop up socket, back then it was upwards of a couple of hundred for one but they saw the benefit.

jc239, Oct 23, 6:49am
Industrial look is in, why not hang a couple over the bench from the ceiling

ryanm2, Oct 23, 6:50am
just did a house with exposed conduit. Gnarly. Not.

rotormotor7, Oct 23, 6:51am
as t naki says. kitchen islands are the market for these.

fordcrzy, Oct 23, 7:19am
A decent one is $400 plus. theres no youd put a 75 dollar one.

fhpottery, Oct 23, 7:20am
Oh yuck really? Hope you used lots of conduit boxes for effect, and your sets were crooked.

jc239, Oct 23, 9:04am
Ha, nice. I hope you fitted it out in 56 series for full effect.

fordcrzy, Oct 23, 9:13am
the only way to do exposed conduit is with steel. marly on the wall is just wrong

nzjay, Oct 23, 9:19am
When I have a good think about it, I'm not even sure using steel conduit as an earth conductor is actually legal now. You could get around it by running a separate earth conductor in the conduit. as you would with PVC conduit.

t_naki, Oct 28, 4:51am
No, the $75 one looked fine. Even came with certification papers and a sDoC. And at that cost you can afford to replace it if it wears out. It was even modular so you could replace individual sockets or put plates in for phone or data outlets

t_naki, Aug 18, 4:14am
Years ago the company I worked for was asked to price wiring a whole house with 56 series as the owners were worried about flooding in there area. Needless to say when they saw the price they weren't as concerned about the flooding as they first thought.