White Sapote fruit - Casimiroa edulis

portly, Mar 27, 8:10am
Has any body tried these, taste creamy like avocado crossed with a pear.
Was told that they are better grafted, is this right. Have Googledbut can`t get any detailed cultivation notes, aside from grown from seed and are frost tolerant, will grow in poor soils. Thanks

les6, Mar 27, 6:10pm
try incredible edible website!we have a `sue belle` in hastings with decent frosts and it is fruiting and growing well.

nchun, Mar 30, 9:51am
I have them growing in our garden in Lower Hutt. The fruit is truly delectable and would have to be the most delectable of all the fruit I grow here. Flesh has a creamy firm texture like avocado and the flavor is truly tropical and intense. Sweet, aromatic, flavour notes of mango, papaya, pineapple. The key to cross pollination and good size fruit is to grow several different varieties. Sue Belle is one variety I have. For all their tropical-like appearance and fruit, Casimiroa trees are hardier that you would anticipate.

edenrose, Mar 30, 10:29am
Hi are they grafted or seedlings!How long to flower/fruit from seed!Got seedlings over 2 metres tall, wondered how much longer for them to perform.Got a grafted one that has only small fruit so far.

nchun, Mar 30, 12:16pm
Mine are grafted. Took aprox 4 years to fruit. Your seedling trees have made good growth, but generally seedling trees can take 10 years to become fruitfully viable. Maybe Casimiroa seedling trees take less time to mature! Your grafted tree will have bigger fruit if you plant another one of a different variety. Cheers again!

les6, Mar 31, 3:20am
thats interesting nchun,mine were a bit dissapointing size wise last year.this year there are less and much bigger.Mine was covered in flowers in its pot at the nursery,took it home and planted it and they all dropped off,two years later it flowered again!might get another variety and see if it improves.

portly, May 6, 3:19am
Thanks for all that, the Incredible edibles don`t say if they are grafted (les6) but all the other cultivation info
So do recommend planting two and cross pollination rather than grafting (nchun) if so are they grafted back onto the same stock or what !
Tasted the fruit yes it beautiful, hate banana so looking to use as replacement in smoothies, ice cream or just eat