Gas bottle problem

pandana, Mar 20, 8:51pm
have a full 9kg gas bottle with OPD fitted - which seems to have activated and !jammed - we can only get the low flow out- how do we get it to work properly again!

aredwood, Mar 21, 7:16am
What are you running off it! Try a different regulator.

pandana, Mar 21, 7:10pm
running a bbq of it. yep we have replaced both a bbq ( it was stuffed any way) and the regulator - so it come back to the bottle. and i read that when the OPD saftey device is trigger a classic presentation for that is reduce gas flow - and thus small flames in the bbq - which is exactly what we have./ but how to de activate the OPD!

digger148, Mar 22, 7:17am
did a bit of reading on that myself.
Seems that an OPD valve has surge protection to stop huge amounts of gas escaping.

Make sure you only have one burner turned on when lighting your barbecue to restrict the flow of gas.
Don't turn the gas bottle full open until all burners are ignited.

Just a couple of suggestions I came across.

skin1235, Mar 22, 8:24am
to reset it you need to turn the bottle tap off
and walk away for 20 minutes

skin1235, Mar 22, 8:26am
the issue you describe is more commonly the regulator has failed
I know you've already swapped it once, but try yet another ( borrow from neighbour!, friends!, family!

pandana, Mar 23, 11:42am
mmm might have to go back to the reg then - as i have tried all the things to re set the OPD. and still it goes on. the having one burner on. and the turning off and walking away. guess i could always get a lamp or something with a direct fitting.

andrew1954, Mar 24, 12:51am
If you suspect the bottle and/or fitting is faulty, take it to one of the places that have the "swap a bottle" factility and pay your money, ($35.00 approx) and get another one !

sanders4, Mar 25, 7:56am
Had same problem but 2 burners would go, 3rd would kill flames on all. First replacement regulator was the same as the first- ie faulty but the next cured the problem, 3rd time lucky for me but all my mates blamed bbq.

henderson_guy, Apr 30, 2:59am
Had similar issue on a 6burner, simply swapped out the new regulator that came with it with the one off the old bbq, and back in business!