Stain for wood made from natural things

anne1955, Feb 16, 10:24pm
Hi I am trying to stain some pine to a darker colour, someone said tea ok tried it but not dark enough fact even 100 coats I don't think would do it.but then no one actually said how many tea bags to how much water or should I be using tea leaf I did a brew with 1/2 cup water to 4 tea bags looks right colour on pot but it's still like 'madiens water'Anyone done this and if so help please.Or if there is something else I can use, sadly no money to buy stain so if there's a homemade brew of something that will colour wood I'd love to know Thanks Anne

zak410, Feb 16, 10:40pm
We used a powder made from crushed walnut shells for a dark stain, way back in Europe, hopefully someone here may know where to get the shells.

kp11, Feb 16, 10:52pm
If your projects going to be outside in the weather the tea stain or anything like that will just wash off.
If your projects an indoor thing (eg picture frame or similar crafty project), ive used a solution of just coffee / water before with good effects.Just alter the colour by more coffee/less water, or vise versa for a lighter colour.

Need to ensure its very very dry before putting it against other surfaces obviously, & if its a picture frame or something hanging against a wall, just dye the facing sides & leave the back clean (cover it with tape while your staining to protect it).
Have fun.

ro42, Feb 16, 10:56pm
Yep, you can use kiwi shoe polish (wax) or wax crayons of the right colour. If you gently heat it so it melts, then stir in some sort of oil (cooking oil will do) and stir thoroughly, that will make a soft staining wax. You then rub it into the wood with fine wire wool and you don't need any varnish or anything.
Alternatively you can make a dye using walnut hulls (the outer fleshy bit) boiled in water with some tea and strained through a cloth, but it's quite difficult to apply without it being a bit streaky.

anne1955, Feb 16, 11:02pm
Hi I don't have any walnuts shells I did google it and the also said chewing tabacco don't even know if we can get it here :) and the price of tabacco is to high. I'll give the coffee a go on pay day :) don't even have enough to get there for my own currently :(I presume it won't matter what coffee that I can buy cheap and nasty for it!It's is for inside piece. Will see if anyone else has anything by way of ideas my plan was to top coat with boiled linseed oil trying to make it match my floor boards in lounge rather it be a bit darker rather than lighter.Thanks people your a gems, I like doing things outside square and enough money has gone into it already and it's rental and I have done the floors for them at my costs.

biddy6, Feb 16, 11:11pm
I dont know, but would the waste coffee grounds from a cafe work. Must be a lot of that for free.

lambrat, Feb 18, 2:01am
find someone local with a walnut tree, i'm in chch and walnuts will be dropping soon.
they often drop with the outer flesh still attached or it drops from the tree soon after its opened and the walnut has dropped out.
anyone with a tree will be happy you want to come and pick them up. once on the ground they go black and mushy fast, and stain anything that comes in contact, both concrete and hands!
eta. i will go out and take a pic, am at home right now

guest, Oct 11, 3:33am
kony 2012 / Along with every thing which appears to be dneolepivg throughout this particular area, many of your perspectives happen to be somewhat refreshing. Nevertheless, I beg your pardon, because I do not subscribe to your entire idea, all be it refreshing none the less. It would seem to me that your remarks are not totally validated and in fact you are your self not really wholly confident of the assertion. In any event I did appreciate examining it.

guest, Oct 13, 9:03pm
Guadalupe Petross / If you're interested in byinug pigment samples (trust me, most sample sizes are enough! I still have some from 2006) then check out Cheryl's Shiny Eyes store. She sells 100% authentic MAC pigment samples and you can fully trust her. Please avoid byinug pigments and pigment samples from Ebay unless it's from any of these sellers.

guest, Jun 3, 8:43am
fruit mocking party / Please let me know if you're lonokig for a author for your blog. You have some really great articles and I think I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd really like to write some articles for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please blast me an e-mail if interested. Cheers!