Mustard seeds or oats?

jason60, Mar 9, 7:54am
Im going to plant a couple of my Vege gardens out over winter in either Mustard or Oats!

Is that a good thing to do to prepare the soil for late winter/spring planting!

samanya, Mar 9, 10:55pm
Yes, it is a good thing for the soil.
You can buy a 'green crop' mix & I think it's got both mustard & oats & something else as well . I used it last year & dug it in before it seeded.

susievb, Mar 9, 11:22pm
I'm planning to do the same thing, I am going to plant mustard because I found some cheap: http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/catalog/product/Tui-Mustard-Seeds-500g!SKU=936201 and it is the fasterst growing one.

Cut and pasted from another post:
Mustard contains a few enzymes than when broken down produce a gas call Allyl isothiocyanate. (This is the flash you get when you eat wasabi or oriental mustard). That gas can kill fungus and nematodes." I'll give it a go, cant hurt. Just be aware not to plant it where you're going to plant brassicas later on. Clubroot problems

dibble35, Mar 9, 11:48pm
The mixed one has also got lupins in it, which fix nitrogen in the soil. Mustard cleans the soil, and oats. well i guess that adds green/organic matter along with the others. I did it last year but think I waited to late to do it. didnt have time to break down into the soil as it should of. so this year I started early and planted it 2 weeks ago. I find my dogs love eating the greenery that comes up with the oats, its funny to watch.

samanya, Mar 10, 12:13am
Aaaaah .lupins was the one I couldn't think of.
I found that rats & mice got a lot of the oat seeds.the sods.

jason60, Mar 10, 12:40am
cool cheers guys.

I just went to Mitre10 and got the mustard, blue lupin and grain one.
Just planted it now in a couple of gardens, gave it a good drink, so hopefully it will strike and get somme goodness before digging in.
When is the ideal time to dig it into the soil before spring planting!

dibble35, Apr 9, 9:42pm
Think you need 3 weeks or so for it to break down before planting, but cut it down earlier if it looks like its going to seed. you dont need mustard etc becoming a weed in your garden