White-tiled-bathroom-floo-r-cleaning-hell!

projac, Jan 21, 3:38am
Does anyone know of a quick and easy way to keep white bathroom floor tiles sparkling clean! My partner and I (neither of us exceptionally hairy or cleaning-obsessed), are going increasingly mad owing to us having to spend a phenomenal portion of our daily lives trying to keep the bathroom floor free of dirt, hair and scuffs. We're both on the brink of taking a sledgehammer to said floor to get rid of the white tiles completely! Is there anyone out there experiencing this same kind of madness with their white bathroom floor, and what might be a good solution for keeping on top of it with minimal fuss! Is this normal! It feels like our lives are being taken over by the bathroom floor tiles! Please save us from our floor!

rak1, Jan 21, 4:01am
We have white tiles on our bathroom floor and while they do show up every single hair and piece of fluff, it does mop up pretty easily using good old ajax floor cleaner. The white grout is another issue though. It grimes up really easily and in spite of being sealed, is a dog to keep nice and white. As a result, we (meaning the husband) are going to take out the grout and replace it with a light grey colour instead.

lilyfield, Jan 21, 4:05am
a wipe over after each shower does wonders, use your damp towel and in the wash it goes.

hokispca, Jan 21, 4:19am
I wash down the walls with the shower head every time before getting out. I make up a bottle of bleach/water mix and spray walls down and let it dry(don't waste your money on expensive shower cleaners) Once a week I use Handy Andy to wash shower walls and floor. We have white tiles on wall of shower and cream coloured tiles on the floor.

projac, Jan 21, 5:32am
Thanks guys, that's a great help. Each day we do a sweep, then on the weekend, after vacuuming the floor do a full-on clean with bleach and a mop, sometimes with Ajax instead. What we find is no matter how many strokes with the mop there's always hair etc that sticks to it - unless we're down on our hands and knees with a sponge and/or towel there's not much that will budge. Actually writing this down sounds crazy! The tiles are white, and they have a matt/rough finish, not a gloss finish.

babyluthi, Jan 21, 9:41am
Tie a big microcloth onto your mop.

lythande1, Jan 21, 6:22pm
What do you do in there! I have white tiles too, I wash it (by hand) once a week unless there is a spill or dirty feet or something.
It doesn't get much at all, a bit of dust and fluff is about it.
Husband going in with filthy boots on or something!

v8ryde, Jan 21, 8:21pm
try a micro fibre mop, we had balck tiles that showed alot of marks and found the best thing was the micro fibre mop

rsr72, Jan 21, 9:35pm
x1
Black floor tiles, folks.

annies3, Jan 21, 9:52pm
The fact that the tiles are a matt finish is your problem and I cant think of any way to help your problem than perhaps try and put a coat of a hard water proof varnish over them, other than that take them out and put a gloss finish tile down.
I hope you are not the guilty party who put these unsuitable tiles down !

enpointe, Jan 22, 5:21am
Put down some mats!Cotton ones that you can throw in the washing machine.

annrob, Jan 22, 7:51am
I was told there is a sealer you can use on tiles to stop everything clinging to them, but you'd have to google it. Can't remember as I didn't live in the flat long enough to need it.

aloha3, Jan 22, 7:55am
thanks for your question, reaffirms that I don't want tiles in our new house.

casper161, Jan 22, 9:35am
Dont be put off by tiles aloha3, they look so lovely.Just dont get matt tiles, as annie3 stated.They show up everything and hard to clean.

annies3, Jan 22, 7:53pm
We have 40sqm of tiles, two bathrooms, kitchen and dinning room they are so easy to keep clean, and a scatter mat in the dinning room looks good, but matt or rough finish ! no way, ours are not super glossy but do not catch any mess.

casper161, Jan 23, 4:32am
annie3, what colour are your tiles.we are planning on building soon and i am definately having tiles. Would anyone know if black/charcoal would show dust etc more than mid colours!

projac, Jan 24, 5:57am
It was the previous owners who put them down but it sounds like problem solved if we just need to replace them with gloss version. I knew there had to be a good reason for all the dirt getting trapped and showing up so easily but being so hard to remove! Thanks everyone for the pointers!

sylvia, Jan 24, 11:51am
Re hair etc that sticks to your mop, instead of sweeping prior to mopping you need to vacuum as that will pick up all the fluff, then when you mop over you should be ok. Just make sure you mop straight away after vacuuming! I use Handy Andy in hot water on grey tiles and that cleans well too. Good luck!

annies3, Feb 7, 7:56am
Our tiles are cream we love them but we have a wooden floor (rimu T&G) which we put tile cement board on then the tiles, however they go much better on a concrete floor with underfloor heating of some sort, on our floor they can break fairly easily because of the flexible nature of the floor as a whole.