BROKEN AVOCADO TREE :-(

irenew, Nov 5, 7:50pm
I got home from work today to find the avocado tree I've grown from basically a stone and is now about 1.5m tall with luxuriant foliage, had been snapped off near the base by today's gale force winds!
I'm really sad, as I've been tending it carefully for the past year and a half and it was growing so nicely, beside a slightly smaller one.
My question is, can I do anything to salvage it?

tweake, Nov 5, 8:22pm
quite often they will get cut right back and they regrow very well.
the other thing is grafting a new one on it. i'm told they fruit a lot better if its a graft.

irenew, Nov 5, 8:54pm
How would I go about grafting it? I appreciate your comments.

tweake, Nov 5, 9:31pm
sorry thats not my expertise, i just work in avo orchards now and then.

joanie04, Nov 5, 9:55pm
I had one that grew from the stone. It was some years before it fruited. After three years of fruit (the last was over 100), something appeared to have killed it. I have it cut back at the base about two years ago, and forgot about it. A friend said to check the base and sure enough it was regrowing. In flower now.

les6, Nov 5, 9:59pm
cut it off cleanly with a sharp prunning saw at a slight angle to allow water to run off,paint it with prunetec,bacseal or even acrylic paint if you don`t have the other stuff.This will give it the best chance to heal and push out some new growth.

irenew, Nov 6, 9:38pm
Thank you. I'll have my manservant tend to it tomorrow. Very appreciative of your advice.

irenew, Nov 6, 9:39pm
Thank you. It's reassuring to hear this.

brouser3, Nov 6, 9:49pm
Possibly attacked by phytophera, a fungal infection in the soil that attacks the root system. Can totally decimate quite large trees over a couple of years.

huca1, Nov 6, 11:21pm
It's weird I moved a rose in my garden almost 2 years ago and nothing flowered and it dropped all it's leaves so I've been meaning to remove it.

Looked this morning and there is a green stem sprouting out from the ground it had a beautiful peach rose on, of course the recent winds now have left a handful of petals on the ground but I was so pleased.

irenew, Nov 7, 11:23am
Always a thrill when there's some unexpected regeneration like that. So pleased for you!

joanie04, Nov 7, 6:22pm
It looked like spray drift. I appeared to die from the top down. The new shoot is growing out of the side of the original stump. I checked yesterday and there a lots of tiny avocados but this wind may put paid to those.

tegretol, Sep 11, 12:10pm
Manservant?