Wet back fire or not wet fire

howard24, Sep 8, 8:54am
Just replacing my old wet need some costing , whats better

kacy5, Sep 8, 10:15am
It depends if you want to pay to heat your water or not for a few months of the year. Really miss the wetback fire I had in my last house which was also connected to solar plus electrical backup if needed.

articferrit, Sep 8, 10:45am
If you already are set up for a wet back what have you got to lose, - free hot water in winter and heat and hot water in a power cut.

jan2242, Sep 9, 10:33am
I miss my wet back. Would ever have a new fire without one if I had the choice.

shanreagh, Sep 9, 10:37am
Those few coldest months though are the ones where you would be paying the biggest $$$$ cost for energy. By having a wetback then you get more 'bang' for your wood/coal buck.

The set-up you had in your last house sounds great.

howard24, Sep 9, 4:08pm
old system guy from the council said have to move the hot water unit

dinx, Sep 9, 5:01pm
From a conversation with a relative the type of hot water system is a factor, they asked for high/mains pressure (but on rural so pump from tank not street mains) in a build and wetback and wasnt told until the installer arrived that its usually one or the other.

Have another relative that has wetback that has too small a cyclinder and has to drain off the excess hot frequently because it will boil over on to roof! Its a small wetback but person actually turns off their tank all winter because the fire is lit until late each night and still hot for morning showers but small household. They have to watch they don't use it when too hot for washing machine etc as machine not designed for that but they dont want to drop temp for shower with tempering valve. No kids in household thou.

kacy5, Sep 9, 8:28pm
It was and I would have the same if I build new again.

shelleigh, Sep 9, 9:29pm
Dinx we have one of the old square brown Yunca multi fuel fires on a wetback. The hot water cylinder is on the other side of the wall behind the fire.
I got sick of running hot water off to stop it overflowing on to the roof so had a plumber come and look at it. He took out the O shaped pipe at the top of the fire box and put a U shaped on on it's side at the back.
Hardly ever hear water overflow now and get more heat coming off the fire.

dinx, Sep 11, 1:22pm
Not possible for one that boils over unfortunately, it's in-built. Pipes in the firebox side. Its an older model too, not very efficient at all but by taking off the brown painted front surround panel in winter it will throw out a bit more heat too. Not pretty but it helps, old 1910 house that can't be insulated either in cold climate, too low under house, can't access dropped ceilings etc, if it was economic it should be levelled and rebuilt.

shelleigh, Sep 13, 12:14pm
That's a pain Dinx especially not being able to put insulation above the ceilings
Our cottage was built in the 1890's and can't be insulated underneath either because it's too low.

xs1100, Sep 30, 10:51am
i have just had a new roof put on the house and had a new fire installed and insisted on wetback and love it plenty of hot water, whats the issue with it over flowing our does it once or twice but havent been too concerned