Pellet fire owners -opinions please

deb821, Mar 11, 7:35am
Hi, considering installing a pellet fire. Who has one? What do they think of the heat they put out? Noise ? Pellet storage and cost? Ease of use and convenience. ? Thoughts and opinions from owners welcome please

survivalkiwi, Mar 11, 8:12am
Our last house had one when we bought it. i said to my wife that is going. she told me to give it a go. I loved it. Our house was modern with double gLazing. We only ran it on low. Last july we went through 8 20kg bags at $12.50 from mitre10.
We would turn it on at about 6 and off at 9 and on again at 4 and off at about 9.30. two weekends we had it on during the day also. In the evening we could get our lounge(62M2) upto 28 degrees on low. It was beside our tv and I never found it noisy and found real easy to use.
The other thing I liked was that when you got up in the morning you just pressed a button and within 5 mins you had a fire.
It was a natures flame.

choosy7, Mar 11, 8:22am
We had a pellet fire and a heat pump in Chch. The heat pump definitely had better heat output and warmed the house throughout.
We installed the pellet fire first, then had to put in the heat pump because the pellet fire was not strong enough. It is also a pain buying bags of pellets.

ruakokopatuna, Mar 11, 8:27am
Won't give you any heat during a power cut!

coop19, Mar 11, 8:54am
Theres the rub, but townies don't get many powercuts, Not like us at the coalface.

rojill, Mar 11, 11:33am
Noisy things, don't work during power cuts and , I know people who have moved into houses that had them installed and changed them for log burners or heat pumps.

lythande1, Mar 11, 7:02pm
Haha. Haven't seen the news last year then. power cuts happen and it can take days and days for it to be reconnected.

smallwoods, Mar 11, 7:56pm
NOT true, mine has a 12 volt back up.

thistle4, Mar 11, 10:35pm
Another plus for pellet fires is that the pellets are great as cat litter. I don't have a pellet fire but I do use the pellets. lol

flagheaven, Mar 13, 1:58am
FANTASTIC - best thing we ever did.
no spiders in the wood , no collecting and storing the wood , easy to use , instant heat , cheap as chips to run and being a wee bit - well , lots deaf , I don't hear it at all. turns on in a flash and bags are clean and easy to use
also no WOOD mess . and the wife does the lot so its the best as far as im concerned.

rob56, Mar 13, 2:33am
Highly recommend pellet fires. We installed one in a coastal area with easterley winds and found it heated the whole house quickly and very easily.
Much better than a heatpump and no noise just a wee low hum no worse than heatpump.
Looks great and feels cosy.

golfaholic2, Mar 13, 7:56am
Good for how many hours ? 4 ?

deb821, Mar 13, 7:59am
Thanks everyone, sounds very positive. Anyone put one in and then regretted it? I like the fact that it is a bit more controllable for temperature too. Might check it out in the showroom too, as there was a bit of noise at the home show. Are all pellets equal quality?

angelah1, Mar 13, 8:21am
we have had one for 10 years - still love it. Way quieter models now. In fact there is a silent one. Pellets are much the same - you need to test them yourselves. costs us about $600 a year for 4 bed 2 living villa with very high stud and you feel the warmth when you walk in the door.

poppysinger2, Mar 14, 1:22am
We were in a house with one when our eq damage was being repaired . It was hopeless , noisy as hell , didn't heat the space and we went through a bag of pellets every 5 days . This was for 2 working adults so only used in the evenings and weekends. It was the end of winter so lord knows how much it would have been to heat during full on winter here in Chch. I would NEVER get one. I was so pleased to move home to our fabulous log burner , even if it is a pain buying , loading , chopping and carrying wood ! Logburner was a godsend post eq when we had no power for weeks , we could cook on it, heat water and the house , dry washing etc .

survivalkiwi, Mar 14, 4:58am
$12.50 for 5 days heating and you think that is expensive? What do you usually use for heating?

biggles45, Mar 14, 5:27am
Ouchie! 2 heat pumps running 24/7 cost us about $250 a year for 3 bed, 2 living, high stud villa in Southland, and the whole house is cosy.

survivalkiwi, Mar 14, 8:41am
How did you work that out exactly?

poppysinger2, Mar 14, 10:06am
That wasn't 5 days heating, that was running the pellet fire from approx 630 pm til 10 pm during the week and only during the day if we were home in the weekend . If at home all day then I think we would have used 2 -3 bags of pellets a week , and that means more trips to buy the pellets , heaving the bags in and out of car etc etc . Also needed the fan heater on in the mornings to be warm enough to dress and eat breakfast . Perhaps the house was uninsulated but it was very cold . And this was end of August til October in Chch by the beach .

rojill, Mar 15, 9:10am
$600 pa for heating part of the year is "expensive" when compared to the running costs of a log burner using good wood.

mrsmop1, Mar 15, 9:22am
$12.50 for 5 days heating is not the full picture. It costs you $12.50 for the pellets then you have the cost of the power to run the pellet fire on top of that.Give me a heat pump over a pellet fire anyday.

viking60, Mar 19, 5:51am
Bunnings pellets are cheaper and burn well and don't seem to build up as Natures Flame do. We love our pellet fire and have 4 bed one level house. We burn on medium heat and turn down as required. We only have one room that we need to use a small heater in some nights during winter.

ira78, Mar 19, 6:36am
$600 pa sounds about average for a low usage woodburner if you buy it. We go through about 8 cube which is right around $500-600 for similar hours 6-10 weekdays. Something like macro goes for about twice that per cube here

korban, Feb 28, 5:03pm
Our neighbours have one, they wish they had put in a wood burner.