Old brown Kent inbuilt Fire.

christin, Aug 31, 8:55am
x1
Looking a bit dated now but still works. Is there anyone who can resurface it in matt black or is it not done? Wanting to do my kitchen and if possible modernise it without putting a new one in.

Thanks!

cagivachick1, Aug 31, 9:28am
you can pull all the bits off and have them re enameled

laspaz, Aug 31, 9:29am
I painted mine with high temp matt black from bunnings last year. Has held up really well after this winter. Would recommend as looked great once painted.

christin, Aug 31, 9:11pm
Thanks. I'm not sure I know how to get all the bits off, so was hoping there was someone who could come do it. I'll get someone to check the fire out first, I think it's fine but it has been there a while so will see if worth doing :-)

laspaz, Aug 31, 9:15pm
The grilles just lift up and out an the facade is unscrewed. With the facade off the door just lifts off the hinge.

I re-tiled the surround and hearth at the same time. I will see if I have before and after shots to give you an idea.

laspaz, Aug 31, 9:31pm
The before is fairly crap sorry, but shows the typical poo brown fireplace:
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/407245224.jpg And the after, it cost around $200 including tiling the hearth and surround (diy) https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/407245361.jpg

budgel, Aug 31, 10:16pm
laspaz, that's impressive, well done!

laspaz, Aug 31, 10:23pm
Thanks very much, I am happy with it. The old firebox dampens down much better than the newer ones, so the facelift seemed like the best idea.

shaun16, Sep 1, 2:52am
certainly is. looks way better

xs1100, Sep 1, 7:49am
theres a guy down waitora john who can really make those things hummm in regards putting out the heat

christin, Sep 1, 10:07pm
thanks. looks heaps better in black. ill try and find a pic of mine. looks similar to yours.

christin, Sep 1, 10:09pm
not a great photo but im at work and only one i have. its surrounded in brown now, but wanting to do the kitchen pretty much white, ie sick of the brown benchtop and yellow / brown chipped cupboards!

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/1935354_144860583665_8000125_n.jpg?oh=47f95f76455d367b155c5c015d28a729&oe=56368D68

christin, Sep 1, 10:11pm
the photo it doesnt look that brown, but it is the same as yours, with the faded colours etc. only difference is it has two levers.

laspaz, Sep 1, 10:12pm
Yep looks about the same.

Just lift the grilles off and unscrew the facade. Take it outside. I gave it a light rub with a piece of sandpaper, then gave it 2 coats of the spray paint.

christin, Sep 1, 11:01pm
thanks. will give that a go this weekend. or at least work out how to get the things off lol.

christin, Sep 1, 11:05pm
you dont know the brand of paint you used? id imagine all high temp are the same, but as i know yours has held up, might as well go for a tried and true one? Thanks!

laspaz, Sep 1, 11:26pm
I will duck out to the garage and take a look when the rain breaks. I used the same paint on the chimney of my chip heater (which gets really hot) and that has also held up perfectly.

laspaz, Sep 2, 12:22am

christin, Oct 12, 11:03pm
awesome! thanks for that. wish me luck lol.