Pond Snails

daisy86, Apr 18, 12:55pm
Can anyone tell me these guys are? I don't want to kill them so I thought I try re-homing them.

lythande1, Apr 18, 12:58pm
whats the number mean?

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 18, 1:16pm
It's an auction listing number.

No, pond snails are ubiquitous creatures that end up in most ponds and aquariums at some stage or another, usually imported on plants or equipment. Mine arrived as eggs that survived bleach treatment and took a while to clean out of my big tank. They have their uses in the right setting, but are willing breeders with a wide range of conditions they find comfortable, so populations can quickly burgeon into nuisance level. Bit like humanity in that regard.

Best culled when that happens, although there is also the school of thought that says excess food means excess snails, famine brings about population cuts. In a pond that may work, in a tank, it is risky.

Btw, if you'd like some Malaysian Trumpet Snails, just ask.

daisy86, Aug 1, 1:57pm
Thank Oh Hunnihunni

I think some snails will be good to eat the algae but I don't want millions of the wee buggers, hence the auction. Hopefully I can find homes for some.

Thanks for the offer of the Trumpet snails but really all I wanted was water lilies - no live stock!