Fish pond help please

macmar, Jan 17, 6:15am
We have a fish pond with a water filter, lilies and some oxygen weed + 10 fish - for years it has kept brilliantly clean and clear water, and now all of a sudden it has gone very green.On Monday we cleaned the whole pond out, i.e. emptied the water etc, and now only 4 days later it is already quite mirky green.any idea what has gone wrong!We had a big supply of snails but they have decreased in number too.Thanks

les6, Jan 17, 6:32am
the balance you had has been upset in some way and the algae has taken its chance and taken over,could be the decent summer we are having with more light and higher temps to let the algae go for it!it may settle down it may not!A uV sterilizer that the water passes through may control it but you need the right sized pump to circulate all the water over a given time frame.

mottly, Jan 19, 3:35am
The sun and heat - all my ponds are green at the moment too, so I flush them every other day - the surface water temp is quite high, so the algae is going nuts.The oxygen weed also dies off in places, and causes murk in the water.

djohnston, Jan 19, 3:50am
i would suggest getting a solar powered pump and use the fountain part to both circulate the water and aerate it.They are available on TM.I use one with great success.