GARDEN POND toxic water or not ?

cleverdicky, Dec 18, 9:30pm
Does anybody know anything about ponds, newly coated concrete pond by Cemix Pond & Trough coating . I followed makers instructions leaving coating to dry for 15 days (more than is recommended ) washed the coating and flushed it all out a couple of times, refilled with water and left it 10 days then put in a lily plant and 2 other aquatic plants and 3 big goldfish which I've had for ages about 8 inches long . After about 10 days the plants started to shed their leafs and die , lilies sprouting but small pads started to rot and die others trying to spout.but struggling , then 2 of the fish found on their sides , put the other fish in another pond and it survived okay but had to nurse the largest fish for 2 weeks in a large tub then slight improvement and released into other pond , it gradually came right after a week or so . Emptied the pond again and refilled after flushing again , added a new small fish , only lasted about a week! Lily is hanging on but shoots dying. Noticed thousands of black bugs in there now . No idea what to do now, any ideas. Desperate!

gpg58, Dec 18, 11:52pm
Water getting to hot? - is coating black, absorbing lots of heat, if little shade or very shallow?
Aeration issue - has moving water ?
Product should not be the problem, you would think.
https://www.cemix.co.nz/files/products/50/pondtrough-waterproofer-200114-f.pdf

coralsnake, Dec 19, 1:58am
Are you using chlorinated water without treating it before adding fish?
What soil have you planted your lilies in?
As gpg has asked is there any aeration i.e. pond pump/waterfall/spray head.

When I split lilies and report they often go through a period of sulking.
I have never put fish straight into start up ponds.

pleco, Dec 19, 4:57am
Goldfish like a higher PH and wondering if the coating didn't work and you have very alkaline water. I would test the PH, Chlorine disapears from water in 24 hours so won't be that but could be heat and aeration too. Try doing a third water change slowly.

cleverdicky, Dec 19, 7:19am

I have recoated this pond before and never had any problem , I would never use this product again because of this episode. I think that this product has had problems like this before because the warning of time delay before refilling is an after thought label stuck on the lid and not in the general directions.

cleverdicky, Dec 19, 7:29am
I have the fountain on a timer which comes on for 5 hours a day . Any idea what the thousands of black bugs are in the water, never had these before, is it possible these are a sign the water is toxic?

oh_hunnihunni, Dec 19, 9:21am
I'd take a water sample to your nearest pet shop that offers testing - usually the one with good aquarium stock. Sounds like a chemical imbalance to me if the plants are rotting but some bugs can tolerate it.

And hold the fish back till the plants are well established. That indicates a good cycle has established and the environment is safe for them.

cleverdicky, Jan 26, 2:13am
oh_hunnihunni wrote:
I'd take a water sample to your nearest pet shop that offers testing - usually the one with good aquarium stock. Sounds like a chemical imbalance to me if the plants are rotting but some bugs can tolerate it.

And hold the fish back till the plants are well established. That indicates a good cycle has established and the environment is safe for them.[/quotiie]

Yes already decided to hold fish back till safe , thanks for your input , will try some pet shops regarding tests.