Where to find old window latches

Page 1 / 2
ziggy16, Feb 16, 6:01pm
I'm currently renovating a 100 year old house and there are so many miss-matched casements that I'm on the hunt to replace the odd ones out, some of the latches are called monkey tails and then there's like a tear drop handle piece but if someone can remind me how to up load a photo I can post a pic of all the bits I'm after incase anyone has any to sell or seen them for sale somewhere :)

sumstyle, Feb 16, 7:28pm
You go to My Trade Me, and in Other Options down the bottom you can click to upload photos one at a time. You save them to your Trade Me account, and then have to click on them once saved, and copy the url for each photo so that you can paste it into a post in this thread so that we can see what hardware you have.

sumstyle, Feb 16, 7:30pm
I used to work for a salvage yard, so I'll be interested to see what you have.

lakeview3, Feb 16, 7:31pm
If you can’t find here on trademe, then try these people:

https://www.demolitiontraders.co.nz/products/catalogue/general

nukhelenc, Feb 16, 8:53pm
x1
You have to first put the photo into your My Trade Me Photos. When you have done that, go to your photos, select the photo to open it, then copy the URL (in the browser address bar) and return to the message board and paste the URL into a text box.

nukhelenc, Feb 16, 8:58pm
I'm keen to see what you want, make them good close up photos and ill see what Ive got in the way of old Brass Handles

strathview, Feb 16, 9:37pm
Demolition World in Invercargill have lots of this sort of stuff. They are on Facebook.

blueviking, Feb 17, 7:20am
Try the Handlesplus website.They have a huge range, including the older type catches.

sr2, Feb 17, 1:41pm
Knobs & Knockers - great range of older styled hardware.

https://www.knkhardware.co.nz/

sumstyle, Feb 17, 1:41pm
Well, while we are waiting for the OP to come back - does anyone know where I could source more of this door hardware please?

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1490249421.jpg

It's in a 1914 transition bungalow, but I'm not certain if it's original to the house, as it only appears on the doors to the main bedroom, sun room, and lounge. The minor bedrooms and bathroom don't have this fancy stuff.

sossie1, Feb 17, 2:11pm
there's a demo yard next to Ginza Bargains

ziggy16, Feb 17, 7:38pm
unfortunately don't have what I'm after and the one I did see there was overpriced and in bad condition, bent etc

ziggy16, Feb 17, 7:41pm
Thanks for all your help guys and I'll be sure to check out those sites, I was hoping once I stripped the paint of the ones I do have that I could polish them up to a nice metal but they seem to be just copper or bronze plated as it buffed off as I was cleaning them up, I'll upload the photo's asap Thanks again

ziggy16, Feb 17, 8:04pm

ziggy16, Feb 17, 8:08pm

sumstyle, Feb 17, 9:45pm
Casement stays - monkey tail end. Musgroves may have them from $15 each. Email the photo to sales@musgroves.co.nz and they'll tell you if they've got any, and how much to send to you.

New reproduction ones here https://www.vintagehardware.co.nz/?rf=kw&kw=casement+stay

I've never seen these ones in chrome or brass.

sumstyle, Feb 17, 9:52pm
Can you post the link, because I've been through their online stock, and there is nothing that matches my ones.

nukhelenc, Feb 18, 9:31am
I had a look and the few things Ive got don't match.
Over the years ive biffed most of it out

tygertung, Feb 18, 1:03pm
You can get those sort of things at Mitre 10, maybe not the exact same style. You could just replace all of them. The ones at Mitre 10 are of an old fashioned style.

sumstyle, Feb 18, 1:33pm
True, Mitre 10 do have casement stays - but the price starts at $30 each, and they are pretty bland looking.

OP may be like me, and want to improve their period home by bringing back the charm, using fittings that match the original era.

gilligee, Feb 18, 4:19pm
What about your local recycling centre at your dump?

ziggy16, Feb 18, 5:20pm
Yep sure do, don't really want to go wasting money replacing all of them, be nice to keep the originals, just a few too many miss matched pieces for my liking, I've emailed Musgroves but no luck there sadly

quiz3, Feb 19, 2:13pm
RUSTY NAIL in Longburn. 06 353 7878

A very interesting place. Should have what you are looking for.

bryshaw, Feb 20, 9:32pm
If the hardware was NZ made then it will take a search. Otherwise Amazon do have a range of vintage.

karmae, Feb 20, 9:50pm