Getting drift wood

Page 1 / 3
gunna-1, Apr 16, 4:56am
From the river, is there any problem with this, i,me unsure wich councle this river comes under so i dont know who to enquire to about it, but there seems to be a group of local vigilaties makeing sure people dont drop a lollie wraper down there as someone burnt a tyre, oh the humanity, but the place is awash and littered with plenty of driftwood, dose anyone know the unwritten rules about this, or if there would be any issues.

martin11, Apr 16, 7:44am
Donot burn it in your fire !

lythande1, Apr 16, 8:10am
It will rust your woodburner out.

gunna-1, Apr 16, 8:48am
Its not a wood burner, i,me not worried about it rusting anything out.

wine-o-clock, Apr 16, 9:11am
Am I missing something here? Driftwood from a river is not salty, so shouldn't rust anything out

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 16, 9:20am
I don't see any issues about taking some, so long as you aren't doing wholesale scavenging. The wood is part of the river health system, like everything else, but removing some won't hurt. The issues though come with end use, especially if you intend burning it.

callum.irvine, Apr 16, 9:23am
Yeah people just read "driftwood" and assume from the sea. You can happily burn river driftwood *IF IT IS DRY* Often this stuff is very waterlogged so depending on the wood it needs to have been sitting in a dry area for 6-12 months. Otherwise yes, the moisture in it can still cause corrosion problems.

I think OP might be more asking for a craft or something. It would be an anal person indeed who stops you or your kids gathering a few bits and pieces for craft or art. Perhaps if you're bringing a trailer in and clearing out everything in sight to be used as firewood that wouldn't be particularly well received.

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 16, 9:50am
I use driftwood, especially river driftwood, in my aquariums. It is expensive stuff if you buy the imported varieties. But it does pay to know what woods are safe to use in such closed environments and how to prepare it if you don't want to bring in some kinds of nasties.

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 16, 9:52am
You can happily burn it in the areas where wood burning is allowed and during seasons when it is appropriate. Which is why I was a bit cautious! These days nothing is as simple as it used to be.

gunna-1, Apr 16, 3:33pm
Its a large tree pokeing out of the ground on its side, washed up and dead, i wasnt planning on getting a trailer load but a few sackfulls, i was going to cut some up with a chainsaw but that might be a bad look?.

mouse265, Apr 16, 3:38pm
just go for it palmerston north is away from the coast so you wont find any salt in it

gunna-1, Apr 16, 3:46pm
I keep warm outside with a brazier, they are fazeing out gas and power is crippling, i wait untill the neighbours close there windows, the councle rules have gotten so stuped we asked someone selling coal fired and wood fired bbq,s and they said "its a massive grey area" i am cautious as one of the neighbours is a squaker, and sounds rather controlling, people still buy em new, i dont smoke out any washing or lounges with open windows.

phoenix22, Apr 16, 3:46pm
I took a small quantity of driftwood from the beach for my fish tank. I wouldn't think a few pieces for personal use would be too much of an issue OP.

tegretol, Apr 16, 5:08pm
Waiho noa iho a maatau rakau taraiwa na te mea kaore o mana ki te tahae i te taha o te awa.

mcgolly, Apr 16, 8:32pm
Waiho noa iho a maatau rakau taraiwa na te mea kaore o mana ki te tahae i te taha o te awa.
Hang on a minute! It's not stealing if it has no owner. common sense and decency would cause the wood seeker to take only what he/she needs.

gunna-1, Apr 17, 6:43am
Cant understand #14 sorry i wont bother if it is going to draw more psychotic people with a chip on there shoulder, like those white guys with diabetes in the 4wd who thought they were in charge of people walking, there are allso idiots like this.

tygertung, Apr 17, 7:50am
Surely, drift wood is common property of all the people of the land, so anyone can take it?

All the citizens of Aotearoa are the people of the land, so should be able to grab a bit of drift wood.

tegretol, Apr 19, 10:17am
"Kapiti Coast District Council Beach Bylaw (2009) restricts the taking of materials. No sand, driftwood, native estuary vegetation or stones (where they form the predominant beach material) may be taken from beaches unless: no power tools are used to chop up or break down the beach material, the material is carried on foot or written permission for removing the beach materials is obtained from the Chief Executive".

You'll find that almost every other Local Body in NZ has this same bylaw. The Treaty of Waitangi also has reference to the practice and there are allowances to certain members of society to take the materials.

wine-o-clock, Apr 19, 10:31am
#1 says clearly that its a 'river' not beach

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 19, 2:45pm
Yes, except rivers have beaches too, and I am sure some nit picking council staffer or local tell tale tit would agree.

Foraging though is fair use on public land, and so long as that foraging is done with care and respect for the land and the species we share it with I cannot see any objections carrying much weight.

As for the gas thing gunna, I think the industry has plans for that eventuality.

gunna-1, Apr 20, 5:32am
I agree the environment should be treated with respect when doing this, in regards to river health, but #18 is talking some serious nonsense, i,ve had it with these bylaws, and all this grandstanding, maby the govt can by me a ticket back to scotland.

gunna-1, Apr 20, 5:51am
A solar powered bbq?, maby some of those space lazers designed to beam the suns energy into the power grid could be directed to my steak to zap it up.

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 20, 9:55am

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 20, 9:56am
You don't want to go back gunna, the place has changed beyond recognition, and its full of people who talk funny.

tygertung, Apr 21, 8:49am
Yep, solar powered bbq, no worries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cooker