Enamel peeling rusting oven

jojo76, Apr 4, 1:00pm
Really disappointed. Had my Haier oven 3 years and the enamel is peeling off with an area so rust. Is there anyway to re-enamel it, it is only a very small patch but it will get bigger. Thanks

toyboy3, Apr 4, 1:14pm
Why is the bottom of my oven rusting?

Look who's got a rusty oven bottom. You must be the life of the party with that kind of problem, huh?

Anyway, to answer your question, there are a few reasons why the bottom of your oven might be rusting. One possibility is that the enamel coating on the bottom has worn away over time, leaving the metal underneath exposed to moisture and air. Another possibility is that you've been spilling liquids or leaving wet dishes on the bottom of your oven, which can cause rust to form.

Now, if you're feeling brave and want to tackle this issue on your own, you can try sanding down the rusted area and applying a coat of rust-resistant paint. Just make sure you turn off the oven and let it cool completely before attempting any DIY repairs. Safety first, people!

Alternatively, you could just call in the professionals and have them take care of it for you. They'll probably do a better job anyway, and you won't have to worry about accidentally setting your oven on fire or something.

So, there you have it. The bottom of your oven is rusting because of science and stuff. Now, go forth and conquer that rusty beast!

lovelurking, Apr 4, 1:44pm
I’m with toyboy 🤭🤤
The life expectancy should be more than 3 years before it isn’t useable.
Don’t do anything to it. It’s important it is in its virgin state. If you touch it the guarantee is cancelled.
Talk to the business you bought it from and give the problem to them.

jojo76, Apr 4, 1:53pm
Just pulled out the instruction manual and I myself could be to blame here.
It states to clean using water and dishwashing liquid or the steam clean it using bowl of water, after every use.
Firstly I don’t clean it after every use, and I use an oven cleaner, any spills are immediately cleaned up and fully cleaned every 3 months.
I will take some photos and email Haier anyway, no harm in asking.

tweake, Apr 4, 2:10pm
x1
the cause is most likely a crack in the enable. that allows moisture to get in under the enamel. if its peeling off then the bonding to the steel is bad.
it just wasn't made properly to start with. doesn't matter what you clean it with, it was always going to fail.

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 4, 3:11pm
I agree with tweake. The oven has enamel to protect the metal body. from rusting. That enamel surfacing has obvious failed or there has been a flaw in the process of manufacture. Consumer law should cover repair or replacement as it has failed before its normal expected life is up.

perfectimages, Apr 4, 3:21pm
First port of call should be the Retailer as per post # 2 (maybe mention the CGA?)

androth2, Apr 4, 3:37pm
Its a manufacturing problem where as it was rusty before being enameled and now the rust is expanding pushing the enamel off. It cant be stopped as due to heat in the oven will destroying any new coating

terri01, Apr 4, 5:36pm
Some manufactures stipulate not to use anything to cover the oven bottom as it will cause damage

pamow69, Apr 4, 7:59pm
Most ovens now have the bottom element hidden under the floor of the oven. The worst thing to do is cover the floor with those aluminium trays or any thick grill plate. The heat will get trapped under it and cause the floor area to buckle and crack the enamel and rust will start. It also overheats and weakens the lower element and also causes the top element to work far longer than normal trying to get the temperature up. Seen it happen many times. People just don't read the user manuals.

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 4, 9:25pm
x1
It doesn't help though, that the cheaper the oven, the harder it is to clean. Hence people resort to protecting surfaces.

lythande1, Apr 5, 8:07am
I'd reject it, CGA.

But then I would never have bought a Haier in the first place either.

jan2242, Apr 5, 9:14am
Haier has to be the worst brand out there for a shirt lifespan

trade4us2, Apr 5, 10:25am
Mt Westinghouse fan oven is about 30 years old and has a rusty bottom otherwise it works perfectly. How about putting zinc paint on the bottom? Why would that not keep the rust at bay? Zinc works on my roof!

johotech, Apr 6, 7:32am
^^^^^ This is very good information that everyone should be aware of - if they have read the instruction book.

And this is what happens to the bottom of the oven if you cover it. And the element gets wrecked as well.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1519143157.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1519143178.jpg

apollo11, Apr 6, 10:40am
Lol. Only if you want your roast to taste like burned paint. Perhaps paint it with cooking oil and let it smoke off, like they used to do with iron frying pans.

hound31, Apr 6, 11:19am
Yes, I'd never struck this in an oven before till I bought the house I'm in now, there is no visible bottom element. I read the manual:) I never cover the bottom of the oven with foil, Used to do it in my previous home though, but the oven was older and the bottom element was visible.

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 6, 12:34pm
Used to? Still a good technique for tempering a pan.

apollo11, Apr 6, 1:37pm
Yeah great for cast iron, not so good for the wife's expensive non-stick stuff. Burned fried onion actually manages to stick pretty well.

pamow69, Apr 6, 8:18pm
Hi Johotech Yes I have pulled a few elements out that looked just like that. Nearly always the floor of the oven had been covered "To keep it clean" I just use a roasting pan with a lid on it and it keeps the oven clean. Much cheaper then destroying the oven floor.

bryshaw, Apr 6, 10:34pm
Yes I agree. But then again some people just want rough and ready and cheap.

oh_hunnihunni, Aug 4, 7:50am
Those are the very devil. Did you know that non stick stuff is now found in almost every western body ever tested? Plastic never sleeps!