Forgot to turn hot water cylinder off

moore., Nov 8, 10:36pm
hi there, Ive been away over the weekend, and on leaving our holiday place, i was to turn the cylinder off and the water at the main. I did the latter but forgot the cylinder, is this dangerous? should i make a trip back and turn it off? thanks in advance

macman26, Nov 9, 12:19am
How long before you’ll be back? If only a week I wouldn’t worry too much. The worst that should happen is it’s a low pressure system with a vent pipe the water eventually boils off and the over temperature trips.
If that doesn’t happen the element melts and operates the fuse or circuit breaker.
Do you have a neighbour there that could turn it off at the meter board. Assuming there’s a fuse or breaker outside.

moore., Nov 9, 5:23am
thanks macman, I have no idea , as i rented it off a friend,, I know there are people going over for the beachhop at the end of the month. Oh I will have to ring and confess lol maybe there is someone they know.

lythande1, Nov 9, 8:10am
Why? Never turned ours off and we went overseas once. it is designed to stay on. Won't use as much power as someone there either, it just heats to bring back up to temp, maintaining that temp is less power.
It's fine.

jan2242, Nov 9, 8:33am
Turn it off. You need water to be there and once it boils dry if could end up costing you to replace the cylinder.

pauldw, Nov 9, 9:13am
A few years ago some moron went around stealing the copper vent pipes from empty baches. If power and water on there'd be hot water gushing onto roof until someone noticed. The broken ends of the pipes were matched to the ends of copper the moron tried selling to a scrap dealer.

tegretol, Nov 9, 11:34am
Why would the cylinder contents 'boil' off when the thermostat won't allow the element to heat the water anywhere near 100C?

tegretol, Nov 9, 11:35am
Stop scaring the OP. Why would a burnt out element require cylinder replacement?

tegretol, Nov 9, 11:37am
If it's only going to be left unattended for 10 days or so, forget about it. The only issue will be evaporation out thru the vent pipe (miniscule) and the water level falling below the element which will be near the bottom of the tank. Ignore the scaremongering on here.

moore., Nov 9, 9:05pm
Sorted, thanks for all replies.

vivac, Nov 10, 5:49pm
If the tank gets drained itll blow the element. But there should be noone there to drain it.

lythande1, Nov 10, 7:16pm
And why won't there be water?

macman26, Nov 10, 8:33pm
In his first post. He turned off the water at the main. So given long enough the water has the potential of evaporating away with the heat if there’s a vent pipe. But I would say over many many months before any sort of issue. A few months shouldn’t be an issue. Main reason to turn off is in case there’s a water leak while no one there. And why heat water if not needed

serf407, Nov 11, 8:50pm
There are phone apps/ control switches to turn bach hot water on and off remotely.
e.g
https://www.ezyswitch.co.nz/about

bill1451, Sep 10, 1:19pm
doh, the bach has to be set up for this and wiring to suit, just dosent "happen" by magic.