Building Wrap

hazelthecat, Dec 14, 9:14am
Getting a new build in the new year.
Around my neighbourhood there are several new builds, some with Tekton paper wrap, some with Ecoply plywood wrap. I asked one of the builders why the difference and he told me that brick builds normally have ply wrap to give the building more bracing.
The specs for my house call for Tekron paper wrap. The architect is well recognised in this area.
Before I query this with the architect Is there a standard that specifies the type of wrapping?
Thank you

budgel, Dec 14, 11:23am
NZS 3604 is the standard for light timber framed buildings.

tygertung, Dec 14, 11:38am
Ecoply would add to the bracing and also the insulation factor. You might end up with less plaster cracking in an earthquake.

stevo2, Dec 14, 3:50pm
Both are fine. We use Tekron all the time.

cbbuilder, Dec 14, 4:45pm
NZS3604 may be the standard for light timber framed buildings but E2 External Moisture Acceptable Solution (E2 AS1) is the document that deals with building wrap

tweake, Dec 14, 7:10pm
just had a quick google on it. theres a huge difference between them.
its not actually about the wrapping.

ecoply looks to be sheathing with a water barrier built into it. a plywood version of, for eg, huber zip sheathing.

the tekron i presume is just a wrap going over standard timber wall studs.

the ecoply will be a lot stronger, as water proof, but most importantly its air tight.
that makes a big difference to the actually insulation value of the house, especially if they do all the other air sealing details correctly. that should allow you to run high efficiency balanced ventilation system which further reduces heat loss.
the ecoply is a good start in the right direction.

nz does not have a standard for air leakage in homes. which is why most homes just have some building wrap flapping in the wind.

clangie, Dec 15, 6:17pm
they use ply or rab (rigid air barrier) board as it is classed as a "cladding" which means the builders can carry on with the batts/gib etc before the bricks go up. if only wrap is used the cannot batt/gib till the bricks are up, so really its helps the building process carry on smoothly if ply or rab is used. the extra cost of rab or ply is usually recouped as the building is finished earlier rather than the 1-2 week downtime the brickie would take. the ply will also help with bracing by default.

hazelthecat, Dec 15, 6:27pm
Thanks everyone
A lot of reading for someone without a PhD in building. I think I will ask the architect why he has chosen Tekton over Ecoply and how much extra it will cost to change. The airtightness appeals to me.
Merry Christmas.

tweake, Dec 15, 7:58pm
its because kiwis have crap buildings and don't know to ask for better.
kiwis very rarely do sheathing.
really nice to see someone asking for better than the bare minimum allowed.

however the best benefit is doing it as a total system not just a single product. the big benefit is that it makes it easier to make it air tight. not much point if you cut holes in the ceiling/wall/floor and let all the air through.
there is a some simple things like using a bottom plate sealer and air sealing the wall to ceiling connection. then make sure all light fittings seal well and seal up any electrical cables and pipe runs going through top and bottom plates (can of spray foam). seal up drain pipes going through a wooden floor.

at the other end is the whole design of the house.
if you want to step it up a notch, have a look at doing skillion ceiling, even if you have a normal ceiling. eg use the eco ply under the roofing and then insulation under that. ie insulated attic. the ceiling space becomes inside space and makes it a lot better for installing ducted heatpumps, run ventilation ducts, or just use as storage.
as the ply (under the roofing) becomes the air sealing layer, you don't have to do any air sealing of the ceiling (fit whatever lights you like).

the other thing is whats your homes heating and ventilation design?
have they even done one for you? most don't, they leave it to the home owner to retrofit at much greater cost.
get it designed from the start so it can be built in. any heat pump pipes going through the wall or floor need to be air sealed and its really hard to do that when there is cladding/gib on.

bergkamp, Dec 16, 9:40pm
i would add to whats already been mentioned ,
ecoply can also (with the right nailing pattern) be used for stud/plate , and jackstud/lintel connections

nzshooter01, Sep 2, 12:16am
Cost wise eco ply is around $70 per sheet, a 50 sq mtr roll of wrap around $230.
20 odd sheets of eco needed to equal 25 sq mtrs,
These prices are from my ageing memory so could be in need of updating