Fire retardant wall behind fire

kim1979, Apr 3, 1:12pm
We recently bought an 80s house. There is a fairly recently installed free standing fire in a corner but it is in front of ugly 80s brick walls which are there only for the fire and they are on the face of a proper timber framed wall.We want to remove the bricks and possibly change the fire too. Trouble is the plumber we consulted about a redo has failed to get back to us with the quote and advice he promised ( he is incredibly busy) The question is what product can be used instead of the bricks ? Are there any fire retarding board products ? and yes we do realise we probably need a new permit. The current fire is properly permitted but the flue has a bend in it which takes it fairly close to the wall, so I think a special product will be required

pauldw, Apr 3, 5:37pm
The brick walls are often because there was a potbelly fire there in the past. Newer fires often have built in shielding so can go closer to ordinary walls. The specification sheet for the fire you have will have all the clearance details. The flue can have a clip on shield behind it if it is close to the wall.

whynot47, Apr 6, 8:27pm
Villa board is what was recommended to me

lakeview3, Apr 6, 10:17pm
we used this for one fire. We had schist laid over part of it, and the remainder was painted as normal. It’s fully non combustible. It was called ‘promina board’.

https://www.forman.co.nz/our-products/passive-fire/ceiling-and-floors/promatect-h/

Otherwise paint the bricks? Can look quite attractive. Check with the paint shop as to which is the best process. Probably some sort of zinsser sealer paint followed by an enamel kind of paint or marine grade for durability?

lakeview3, Apr 6, 10:23pm

clangie, Aug 4, 11:19am
only needs to be normal gib board. get the specs of the fire which will tell you minimum distances required off the wall and done. my fire i had installed is in the corner and is 115mm off the wall,the other type of fire i was looking at was allowed to be about 40mm off the wall but i thought it would look silly haha