How do you get SUPER GLUE

Page 1 / 2
wizzbikz, Sep 13, 4:26pm
off your fingers

melford, Sep 13, 4:31pm
nail polish remover with acetone

wizzbikz, Sep 13, 4:38pm
Thanks well done it works. Wife was looking a bit sideways thought I was going to put on some nail polish Hahahahahah

trade_menow, Sep 13, 4:52pm
dont get it on your fingers to start with usually helps

lythande1, Sep 13, 5:52pm
nail polish remover is acetone.
So either or.

smyrnia, Sep 13, 5:56pm
"nail polish remover is acetone."
Not necessarily it can also be ethyl acetate, which wont work.

trogedon, Sep 13, 7:56pm
My brother n law glued his lips together trying to get the lid off!

marte, Sep 14, 1:18am
Stuck my foot to the floor once.

nzshooter01, Sep 14, 7:40am
I think a hot air gun will soften it as well?

articferrit, Sep 14, 9:45am
I want to know the story of how you manage to stick your foot to the floor?

budgel, Sep 14, 11:26am
Interestingly, I read that superglue was originally invented for surgical purposes in gluing skin back together in the Vietnam war era.

marte, Sep 14, 5:10pm
I had to double check this to get the quotes.
But no, I knew it had something to do with lenses.
Quote {The original patent for cyanoacrylate was filed in 1942 by the B.F. Goodrich Company[2] as an outgrowth of a search for materials suitable for clear plastic gun sights for the war effort. In 1942, a team of scientists headed by Harry Coover Jr. stumbled upon a formulation that stuck to everything with which it came in contact.[ } End quote

Though this is where that info may have come from,
Quote { Harry Coover said in 1966 that a cyanoacrylate spray was used in the Vietnam War to reduce bleeding in wounded soldiers until they could be taken to a hospital.[16} end quote
"Harry Coover, Super Glue's Inventor, Dies at 94"
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/28/business/28coover.html

marte, Sep 14, 5:12pm
How I stuck my foot to the floor.?
Just gluing something together while standing at the kitchen sink & I must have dropped a drop of glue on the floor, then stood on it.
I only relised when I had finished & went to walk away

trogedon, Sep 14, 6:11pm
That's one way to remove bunions!

socram, Sep 17, 6:14pm
Hi Trog! Long time no see.

reb53, Sep 17, 6:30pm
marte wrote:
a formulation that stuck to everything with which it came in contact.[ } End quote

You can't have a glue that'll stick anything to anything.
How would you get the cap off the tube . ?

On a more serious note I've been using Superglue since it was super special, and super expensive.
I used it on the clutches of electo-mechanical teller machines in banks so the high cost was no problem.
One way to make it last a lot longer is to store it in the fridge.

marte, Sep 17, 7:21pm
It activates with contact with even tiny amounts of water, the moisture in the air etc. It's interesting how they mix it with baking soda to form a near instant, 2 pack resin like solid.

The ' Iron alpha' brand? I remember seeing it before the 'Elephant glue' version come out. Or a Loctite product.
Do you remember the 'Fair Go' episode where they lifted a Mini on stage, to prove the elephant advertisement?

trogedon, Sep 18, 8:01am
Greetings to you Ray. I hope all is well with you ;-)

melford, Sep 18, 5:57pm
Wrong - you can buy it without acetone

crazynana, Sep 19, 11:51am
WD40 apparently takes it off too. It is quite amazing stuff. If you Google it they have a list of things it does. We had a stubborn label on a metal lid and a few seconds with WD40 and it just peeled off.

arabelle, Sep 22, 7:32am
IF its freshly glued, then use concentrate dishwashing liquid,
I found that out when working in the ER, poor guy came in with fingers glued together but just working the dishwashing liquid between the fingers soon had them apart. so ideal for sensitive areas on the body.
Must be done within about the first 30min , and most homes have it even those with dishwasher machines. [dont use their powder tho]

onl_148, Sep 23, 1:27pm
On the subject of super glue. you can buy some aerosol stuff that is a super glue accelerator that makes it bond instantly. I seen it many time on US wordworking you tube videos. can it be got in NZ. is so where / what is the brand ?

koshana, Oct 6, 3:29pm
CRC Ados is the adhesive we bought in a can, worked a treat on a couple of carpet tiles we had lifting. Purchased from Mitre 10, usually in their locked up cabinet area.

cleo444, Oct 6, 3:56pm
Yes, some people are allergic to the acetone.

mrfxit, Sep 23, 5:57pm
If I remember correctly, Acetone was removed from common nail polish removers a few years ago.
The only versions I have seen in NZ are the direct import cheap $2 shop stuff