Liquid Sulfur Soil Acidifier for Hydrangeas

hound31, Sep 8, 2:33pm
Has anyone used this, and what consistency should it be? I purchased a gorgeous blue hydrangea that came up pink dammit! So I toddled off to the garden shop and bought a bottle of Liquid Aluminium Sulphate which was fine, as in it was liquid. Then I opened the bottle of Liquid Sulfur (not a spelling mistake, that's the brand name). couldn't get it out of the bottle, shook it, and it eventually squeezed out like sludgy toothpaste, a bit difficult to mix with water as per instructions. These two products are supposed to be used in conjunction with each other to make the soil more acidic.
I read the instructions again, checked the manufacturing date (2018) and thought "this can't be right". couldn't even squeeze it into the measuring thingy clipped to the side of the bottle.
Of course, Murphy's law, I hadn't kept the receipt so can't return my $26 bottle of sludge.
So, my question to the more knowledgable gardeners than myself is. did I get sold a "past it's best" bottle of product? If it says liquid it should be liquid right? and can I still use it, or is it supposed to be this consistency?
TIA, I'll come back later to see if anyone knows.

wasgonna, Sep 9, 3:13pm
Increase acidity of soil to obtain blue flowers. Just add plenty of rotting matter around base. Compost, lawn clippings or pine needles if near some trees.

meoldchina, Sep 9, 3:33pm
I would take it back to the shop where you bought it and explain the situation. If they say it's past its Best Before date, ask them to check the rest of their stock on the shelves as you bought it very recently. It may be that they are selling old stock.

hound31, Sep 9, 9:40pm
Thanks, I would but unfortunately I threw out the receipt. It doesn't seem to have a BB date, just a date of manufacture as far as I can see.

hound31, Sep 9, 9:41pm
Thanks for that, I'll do the lawn clippings.

retrogold, Sep 10, 7:32am
Just pour some in a bucket and stir with water and apply, Egmont do a granular sprinkle for blue hydrangers. You don't have to use both together. I use sulphur in the tomatoe bed.

articferrit, Sep 10, 8:37am
Take it back anyway and just ask , and did you pay by eftpos? because a bank statement would show when and where you bought it, or they might not even need the receipt.

fleur59, Sep 10, 8:55am
Sprays etc have date of packaging , not expiry dates.
look up the product on their web site, you may need to warm the contents up to make it more liquid

hound31, Sep 10, 8:56am
Thanks for that. I can't use granular anything in the back yard though. I have two dogs that will eat anything like that, found one of the little beggars happily lapping up a small puddle of liquid fish fertiliser I'd carelessly left on a rhubarb leaf lol, he was really enjoying it!

hound31, Sep 10, 8:56am
Didn't think of the eptpos, thanks.

joanie32, Sep 10, 11:22am
I use white vinegar around drip line.
Turns red back to white.
Also have a cheap gadget that tells me ph level of soil - very handy thing is that.

hound31, Sep 10, 11:59am
Ooh, that's a lot cheaper thanks! where did you get your wee gadget please?

joanie32, Sep 10, 6:04pm
trademe - search for ph meter.
Also measures moisture and light.
Ideal for using on houseplants.