Hydrangeas with powdery mildew

cinderellagowns, Jun 4, 8:52am
Hello all, my small hydrangea plants have what I assume is powdery mildew covering the leaves. Kind of a white-ish powdery substance anyway. Should I spray with something or treat in any way, or is it more cosmetic and not really harmful? They are new plants - put in this summer, so quite small still. Thanks.

lucy1711, Jun 4, 10:57am
Mine lose all the leaves in winter, spring all nice new shiny leaves. I think the mildew leaves will all drop off anyway so not much point in spraying.

cinderellagowns, Jun 4, 11:28am
Hmm,I had thought as much. HAd thought about pruning back,but as they are small it would not leave much plant. Maybe I'll let them lose the leaves and look to preventative measures next summer / autumn. Did a little bit of googling and this seems to be the practice most adopt.

harrislucinda, Jun 4, 2:36pm
dont bother pruning small plants i never do flower the same

lythande1, Jun 4, 4:51pm
The spores over winter in soil, on the trunks, all over. Leaves falling off does not get rid of it.
You can spray now, and again in spring, you can't cure it, it's a prevent it from taking hold spray really.

fpress, Jun 4, 5:49pm
What do you spray with?

summersunnz, Jun 4, 10:42pm
I use apple cider vinegar and water. 1 cup DYC apple cider vinegar to 5 litres water in a sprayer kept for the purpose. spray under and over leaves, stems, etc. everything.
I use the same for brown rot, sooty mould, etc. spraying mid June, then on bud burst and fortnightly until just after harvest.
It also gives a foliar feed to the plants.
I use it throughout my garden, on everything. lovely healthy plants and trees.
And another good thing about it. there's no need for protective clothing as it's good for us too. :-)

wine-o-clock, Jun 5, 6:55am
too much rain/watering on plants causes powdery mildew

ruby2shoes, Jun 5, 10:53am
wow I'm gonna give this a go! thanks.

kiwimade64, Nov 2, 2:55pm
make sure you clean up the dead leaves and burn or throw into the rubbish. This will help stop the spores from spreading.