What to grow with hard rocky ground?

rayonline_tm, Dec 13, 12:51pm
We live in an area where the ground is very hard and we have unsuccessfully grown much. The previous owner had trees and shrubs pretty much.

We built a raised garden and it is doing much better.

With regards to the other areas what can we grow with them? We cannot build raised gardens everywhere. We did dug a big hole and put a meyer lemon tree and it is still alive but it is not fruiting much. We're not into trees and shrubs. We do have a rosemary and that is doing well but one is enough. The backyard also has some steps to walk up so yeah . it's sloping down.

Is it possible to grow fruit trees like lemon, mandarin, fejoja indefinitely out of a large pot? Do we need to replace the potting mix every year? Or is it . if it's not in the ground then give up.

Cheers.

docsportello, Dec 13, 1:45pm
The rosemary is the key here: look up meditteranean, North African, South African and Russian plants that populate stoney hillsides. Next things to do is start closer to May. Read somewhere that roots can have a force of up to 200 PSI when they're looking for something to eat, so even if you give them a bit of a hand by breaking up the ground a where they start it should be ok. That's the other thing, unless you can get hold of one - two year old plants, or can grow some yourself, they might struggle or die. While drought tolerant plants are good once established, they still need water in their first season to get established. Could be a challenge overall, but one worth pursuing if you get it right. Dunno about fruit trees in pots in definitely, unless you buy the minature limes/lemons hybrids.

lythande1, Dec 13, 2:22pm
Ah no Mediterranean and Wellington do not go together.
You need to FEED citrus fruit trees, and nuture them.

They hate frosts too.
Why not a rock garden. look it up, google the plants people do in them. Some groundcovers perhaps? As you have found, herbs don't care, majoram - you can get a yellow leaf variety, pretty things like that perhaps?

survivalkiwi, Dec 13, 3:02pm
Here in Marlborough it is dry. The ground over most of the plains is stony and hard. Grapes grow well as do citrus trees. And we do get frosts.

harrislucinda, Dec 13, 4:11pm
i have snow over winter and very cold so i have a lemon tree in a put and now have wheels on the pot so i can bring it in under cover has heaps of fruit have not changed potting mix yet but feed and water it is the cold that stops the fruit from juicing On the rockie part of your garden try rock plants that can stand heat and dry

rayonline_tm, Dec 13, 4:20pm
Ok thanks.

Apart from the one mentioned before.
I went out and look at the 3 plants I have 2 lemon and 1 mandarin. No fruits. they had a hole dug for them, they do regular watering. I just added some feed. Could it simply be that the ground is just too dry and hard for them and I should leave them in pots for future and continue to water and feed.

When I mean dry and rocky, it is like a council walking track. Light brown colour. We have took down the previous owners shrubs and stuff, so pretty much just grass now.

harrislucinda, Dec 13, 5:05pm
is the water draining away fast they are,nt on a stoney bed ? i would leave another season keep the water up to keep soil moist put mulch around base Have they got new green growth and flowers if so they are growing then

punkinthefirst, Dec 13, 5:18pm
A bit of thought about what the plants like is in order. what about using some of those rocks to make terraces, so that the gardens have some depth of soil?
Do a small corner each summer, build the soil, plant it in autumn and winter and look after it well. Each summer, add to the existing terracing, and before long there will be a thriving, productive garden. Don't forget to gather and use as much organic matter as possible. Keep looking for animal manure when out driving (horse poo for sale on the roadside), untreated sawdust, seaweed from the beach, after a storm. Look up "lasagne gardening" - for some ideas on growing plants in inhospitable soils. And mulch is your best friend.

rayonline_tm, Dec 13, 6:38pm
The green growth, there are flowers, not that much more green growth pretty much the same. The lime tree was maybe a bit smaller than the past when it was in the pot.

There isn't rocks. It's rocky but when you pick it up it breaks apart. Like a trail running walking track by the council :-D Building anything it's building another raised garden with some planks of wood.

rayonline_tm, Dec 13, 6:47pm

harrislucinda, Dec 13, 7:21pm
think if you put one in a in a large pot and see how that does worth a try

docsportello, Dec 14, 7:16am
the guy’s looking for ideas, not for you to demonstrate your ignorance of the med area. Climb that tree baby! CLIMB IT!

rayonline_tm, Dec 14, 12:52pm
one of the citrus trees that was in the pot the roots was starting to overflow. the backyard didn't have a space so put it at the front lawn by the fence.

it's a good day today so this photo is our neighbour's but it shows what the ground is like:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8f5jl2r7rtfzy6a/IMG_20171214_120818.jpg?dl=0

Will see how it is with the new position. well the christmas tree grows quickly LOL. :)

Edit. Come March will bring one of the others into the raised garden and monitor that.

lythande1, Dec 14, 2:16pm
I gave him ideas. And you are ignorant.

colin433, Jan 27, 6:14pm
When I grew Proteas, what I read was that they like rocky soil, so I got all the rocks I could find and dropped them in the holes with the soil. The grew and flourished.
Maybe you could try them.
There are a huge variety of Proteas, I love the one they call the sugar bush, but beware if you cut flowers for inside the house they will be covered in busy little ants.
We grew them semi-commercially, selling about 100 sems at trhe growers markets in Whangarei each week. Fabulous money earner