Help! What have I done to my tomato plant?

tahnasha, Dec 24, 12:53am

tahnasha, Dec 24, 12:53am

cantabman1, Dec 24, 6:51am
Sometimes plants just die for no apparent reason at all. Maybe you gave it too much food, or there was something in that part of the soil which killed it. I have had simular plants do the same thing over the years.
The fact that all the others are ok , suggests im right.
I would dig out the soil around that tom and start with another plant.
Potting mix purchased from recycled compost and garden waist sometimes have sprays in them which can Keep killing.

gabbysnana, Dec 25, 8:09pm
blight

stevee6, Dec 25, 8:27pm
Yes-your dead looking plant has blight. Pull it out ASAP, put it in a rubbish bag, not in the compost.

arabelle, Dec 25, 8:45pm
OR have you used roundup!or copper. that spray can stretch extra far to hit toms etc. to me looked like it had died from one direction first. hence why Id put that as the culprit before blight. but no tomato eggspurt

matthews4, Dec 25, 10:45pm
My toms all need tying up, and laterals removed, after about 5 days of rain, but will not touch them until they are dry.My Dad always said, touching them when they are wet can cause disease and blight, so 50 years later, I still do not touch them when wet.Has been lovely rain, mostly soft, and things have grown tremendously.

red97, Dec 26, 2:03am
what you seem to have there unfortunately is bacterial canker, concentric looking rings in the burnt areas are similar to blight however the giveaway is one half of the leaf dying first, no known treatment, pull them out, burn them or landfill, give all your garden tools a bit of a wash, soap and water,
run a couple of laterals from the healthy one and you might be ok, starting from scratch is maybe your best bet, if you use gardening gloves throw them away after the plants are disposed of, on the brightside i have a 3000 square meter glass house with this problem so it could be worse.

shaun16, Dec 26, 3:32am
i think we have the same problem. one looked really sick so we pulled it out and the rest are ok (well at the moment anyway)

tahnasha, Dec 29, 4:56pm
Oh dam thanks for that.Haven't touched them with any sprays or anything.Although it's a new garden, and my husband brought some compost home from work that the Gardeners gave him so they might have used something.Could I have sprayed with anything to prevent it!