Building a trainer model R/C plane

bill1451, Apr 1, 12:21pm
Yes I know you can buy RTF for around $200.00 but keen to try one from scrap pvc sheet or similar folded around some sort of former, and then squirt in polyurethane foam maybe with a balsa wood spar down the guts for a bit of rigidity, anyone tried this, would do this for a wing section to get the aerofoil shape.

prickles1, Apr 1, 4:42pm
https://www.google.com/search?q=Building+a+trainer+model+R%2FC+plane&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab
note the search is copy of your thread heading
may be some ideas here

oclaf, Apr 1, 5:01pm
Watch some flitetest videos on youtube for inspiration. Lots of interesting ideas and those guys seem to be able to make pretty much anything fly (sometimes badly). https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9zTuyWffK9ckEz1216noAw

bill1451, Apr 1, 6:31pm
yes been there and not always that well videod or explained.

chantilly, Apr 1, 8:37pm
Go To RC Groups .com
Look in Scratchbuilt foamies forum. Every thing you need is there. Good advice . Free downloadable plans with step by step instructions.
I build using sheet foam with paper coating from a local art supplies shop.
I bought my first radio and other bits off TM.
Have fun. If it breaks just make another.

chantilly, Apr 1, 8:41pm
PS I started with a flying boat called the Sea BB
one motor easy to learn with and no under cart to snap of when landing.

ira78, Apr 2, 6:09pm
That sounds likely to be too heavy to fly. And you're committing one of the classic nooby mistakes. End result almost every time is you have an unflyable plane and being flown by someone that can't fly. Maiden flight is about 2 seconds, the plane is destroyed, the person gives up. If you really want to get into the hobby buy a good quality trainer, join a local club, get someone that knows what they're doing to trim it for you and give you some instruction. Get your wings badge and some practice THEN look into building your own plane.

bill1451, Nov 30, 2:50am
thx for the ++ feedback.