Potting Mix

lespat, Nov 7, 8:14pm
Over last couple of years we've tried 2-3 different brands but none of them hold any moisture. Even at this time of year the mix will get bone dry within 24 hours. Any suggestions? Outside pots.

dibble35, Nov 7, 9:02pm
Could you add some crystal rain, or maybe saturaid ?

cantabman1, Nov 8, 7:28am
Nods head agreeing. The really expensive potting mixes have all these added to the mix including Osmocote. If you are only buying two bags a year then i would go for the better mix.
I buy well over 40 bags each season to pot up Swan Plants, I go for a brand name like Daltons, and do add a few other extras to my mix which i buy seperately.

westydogs, Nov 8, 7:45am
Can you please tell me what other extras you add to your mix?

lythande1, Nov 8, 7:47am
It's rubbish. Far better to make your own compost. If you don't have the ingredients, get them from friends, I top mine up that way.

westydogs, Nov 8, 6:01pm
So do you plant up your seedlings in your own compost?

rainrain1, Nov 8, 6:27pm
I always mix my potting mix with soil from the garden half and half

cleggyboy, Nov 8, 6:37pm
Which is Silica Gel. found in little sachets in electronics or shoes etc. Many people throw them away, but they are excellent sprinkled in the garden.

paora-tm, Nov 8, 6:56pm
You can buy hydrogel balls through Aliexpress - really cheap.

miffycat1, Nov 8, 7:54pm
have you bought them & do they do what is intended ?

cameron-albany, Nov 8, 8:25pm
I often add vermiculite and perlite into my soil mix. Both readily available at garden centres. Perlite in particular I find very beneficial for retaining moisture. I only mix it in to my own compost and soil mix which I make myself over a year or two though. Commercial soil mix probably uses a bit of both.

cantabman1, Nov 10, 9:21am
I add a little river sand, extra slow release fert, and [a wetting agent; don't ask me the name] I picked up from Bunnings one day on special.
I also feed all my plants with a seaweed solution that helps release extra minerals from the soil.

rita197, Nov 10, 1:08pm
I use 2/3 potting mix with 1/3 good quality compost. Just put in layers in pot. This makes a good soil texture and helps retain moisture in the soil. Every 3 months I add a couple of handfulls of compost into the pot. Great for healthy growth. Another good idea is to put some sheep pellets on also every 3 months.

meetee, Feb 16, 10:51am
I was having a gripe about potting mixes to someone recently and they said they only use a tomato mix now that they get from the garden centre. I bought the Dalton's one to try it out and it does seem a lot better than any potting mix I've had lately.