Just a reminder about potting mix

kiwimade64, Nov 16, 7:42am

docsportello, Nov 16, 8:22am
I'm on a two bag a day habit. I won't stop sniffing it. I won't.

jan2242, Nov 16, 9:36am
Pneumonia 2 years ago from compost. I am so very careful now.

harrislucinda, Nov 16, 9:52am
was going to buy some even though wear gloves and work outside still a worry

koru67, Nov 16, 10:39am
A good reminder to us to be careful and not be complacent with products we have used for years.

calista, Nov 20, 8:07pm
I've bought some disposable masks and gloves as I've been using a lot of this lately. My wake up call was using some very dry soil that was dusty. My breathing hurt for a couple of days, and I coughed up some yucky stuff. I thought how much worse it could have been with infected potting mix.

The problem is that using a mask fogs up my glasses.😒

mojo49, Nov 20, 9:03pm
Too bloody hard to sip from my beer can through a face mask. Anyway I have no interest in joining the French Foreign Legion.

floralsun, Nov 20, 11:46pm
Be careful with your home-made compost at home too, as it can cause Legionnaires also.

cantabman1, Nov 21, 7:26am
I go through about 40 bags a year, potting up swan plants.
The first thing I do when they are unloaded, is to cut the top off the plastic to let it breath; I hold my breath when I do it lol so as not to take in any pathagens [ not spelt right]. I am a bit naughty in not wearing gloves, or a mask, but fell once the bag is open for a day or two it is not a problem.

scruff71, Nov 21, 12:21pm
For me, the jury is still out regarding homemade compost causing legionella. Four generations of gardeners in my family have worked intensively with soil and compost but it is me that has contracted legionella and pneumonia - the point of difference is that I work with bagged compost and potting mix.
IMO, it is the medium of plastic packaging, heat on the plastic and the resultant moisture build-up that causes the legionella bacteria to multiple and become a hazard for anyone with a compromised immune system or who is a smoker. I wear a mask only when working with the packaged product.
Years of turning the compost has never caused me problems. What do others think?

brightlights60, Feb 9, 1:49pm
I did a Horticulture course a few years back. Opened my eyes a bit and I am very careful these days, both with anything I buy to put on the garden and with all the fertilizers, herbicides, poisons I use. All of it is actually very dangerous. My Dad was a great one for DIY, would spray the crap out of the garden all the time, never wore gloves or a mask. Totally gung ho.