Female flowers on pumpkin ~ where are you?

holly-rocks, Mar 2, 3:18pm
I'm about to harvest my pathetic looking pumpkin patch, 3 pumpkins from 2 plants. I normally get at least 10 per plant. This year i had hardly any female flowers. One day i counted 20 male flowers and not one female. I have never had this problem before. Any ideas for next season how (if its possible) to increase female flower numbers? Thank you ( =

samanya, Mar 2, 5:03pm
I can't offer any advice, but I've only got about 8 pumpkins from 5 plants & I did have female flowers & I have neighbours with bees, plus my own leaf cutter bees, so pollination can't have been the issue . maybe it just hasn't been a good year?
Damned annoying, though.

mark_g, Mar 2, 5:26pm
It is normal to have only make flowers for some time when the vine first takes off in spring/early summer. But normally things should come right a couple of weeks after that.

Do you look to see if you are getting the tiny female flowers forming on the vine at the junction between vine and leaf stem? You can usually see them when the whole thing - undeveloped flower bud and tiny fruitlet behind it - is only 2-3cm long.

I was taught to nip out the vine growing tip AFTER you have seen a female formed on the vine. This will cause the vine to branch, and on the branch vines more flowers will form, hopefully with females among them.

samanya, Mar 2, 5:53pm
I've noticed that the male flowers are usually first, but the nipping out the tip is a good idea to have. have copied that advice.
Thanks for sharing.

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 2, 6:18pm
Three plants, one punkin. Bees aplenty. And my punkin is bright orange - gorgeous thing. Teacup size. I'm saving it for seed. I'm going to grow Designer Handbag Punkins next year and make a fortune.

The yummy mummies will pay megabucks for one of my cutsie babies.

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 2, 6:19pm
Ah that's what I'm doing wrong. I'm nipping the boys.

samanya, Mar 2, 6:28pm
Haaaa, oh shite, that came out all wrong . don't ya hate that?

samanya, Mar 2, 6:37pm
How are you stop them stinking when they break down, like my very ordinary non designer pumpkin did, when stored in my garage from last year, a few months ago?
Every time I walked past . something stunk & yet my beautiful pumpkin looked fine . it wasn't, the rot had set in from underneath.PHEW.
I can't remember the name of the stuff . but you know what I mean . that PVA type glazey stuff. Best wishes for your designer bags . I can see them on the catwalks of Milan.

cameron-albany, Mar 2, 6:40pm
I grew minis this year too ! They're so cute.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/740385439.jpg

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 2, 6:55pm
Oh no, my genius punkin isn't a mini. It's a full sized critter, deliberately starved into teenydom. That's the Designer difference. Ask any super model.

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 2, 6:57pm
Leave them on the vine as long as poss, then store in a dry place hung up so the air circulates all around them (hint: pantihose. Very stretchy pantihose! ). At least that's how I did it back in Taupo when my punkins weren't these appalling runts Auckland gardens produce.

skin1235, Mar 2, 7:19pm
dammit hunnihunni, the word is Pumpkin, lol

most flowers on the main leaders are Males, most flowers on the side shoots are females, so pinching out the tips after the first couple of Males is a good idea, the plant then sends all it has to the side shoots

If you remember, make a few mounds of compost over the main leader, especially where a side shoot comes off, they will strike new roots at that joint, therefore enlarging the food transport system, results in bigger and more pumpkins

samanya, Mar 2, 7:29pm
Haaaa . I would ask, but I don't know any supermodels.

brouser3, Mar 3, 11:18am
Not all punkins are capable of immortality. Some will retain their good looks longer than others. Not sure what it is but ultimately IT IS genetic. Ensuring that the skin isn't damaged as well as good drying and curing is vital, however ultimately immortality is genetic and applying an exterior finish may only prolong the inevitable for a short time if the genes aren't there.

tourer100, Dec 15, 4:57pm
Last year I had about 30 pumpkins, this year will be dismal, I may get about 10, like lots have said, lots of male flowers and very little female, have never pinched out the tip, 30 last year, just different growing conditions this year. What I do have are a huge size, not one Kamo kamo this year, oh well.