Scarlet runner beans.

glenn-ellyn, Feb 10, 10:17am
This year i planted them in two different areas on our section. Main ones from seed and others were bought plants. My problem is they haven't flowered. Grown normally. I'm in Rotorua and wondered if it's just ours.

jan2242, Feb 10, 10:35am
Nope, my beans have been a flop, and tomatoes are only just flowering now. I am north of Auckland. I blame the weather LOL

click13, Feb 10, 11:03am
Another flop. Planted first crop, flourished but no flowers.
Planted second crop, same thing, no flowers.

veejay13, Feb 10, 1:20pm
Mine were rubbish flowering too, in Tauranga. They did eventually produce a few feeds, but didn't make any flowers until about 2metres up. I've got another lot in now, with the tendrils just starting to entwine. Be interesting to see if they are any better.

lythande1, Feb 10, 1:30pm
Our beans (Shiny fardenlosa) are going mad, flowered last week, small beans already.

kam04, Feb 10, 4:22pm
Ours are too !. Eating fresh and free flow freezing as well just to keep up with them.

glenn-ellyn, Feb 10, 6:17pm
Next year maybe :-(

starseeker, Feb 10, 7:04pm
Butter beans were OK, but scarlet runners disappointing

trah, Feb 10, 8:17pm
Shiny fardenlosa is a runner bean, but not the same as scarlet runners. My scarlet runners have produced only 6 beans for all my effort. My other beans have produced well. This is my third time growing scarlet runners, and I have never had success. In Auckland, if that has anything to do with it.

kiwimade64, Feb 11, 8:05am
Our scarlet runners had one lot of flowers then stopped. I read it was because of too much nitrogen in the garden but MrK replace all the soil in the garden before he planted. I wonder though, if it was because of the heat we had this summer.

My garden is behaving as if it is Autum now, it's had a mad growth spurt, done it's thing and is dying down. Crazy, crazy weather systems.

cantabman1, Feb 11, 8:18am
A fantastic Summer in Christchurch, with a gazillion Tomatoes, beans , silver beat lettuce cucumber etc. last summer wasn't nearly so good as there wasn't enough heat, but year before that was very good.
You gotta have the sunshine and temperature over 25 for the Tomatoes.

dibble35, Feb 11, 8:31am
My tomatoes have slowed right up, im in Northland. This time last year I had so many of them, freezing them like mad and making 2 lots relish. I gave a lot away in Jan expecting them to continue on producing but now i'm regretting not freezing them. I have 1 bean plant (yard long) and while the growth on it is amazing so far no flowers or beans, same with my friend whos growing more of them. Sweetcorn did well, zucchini doing well. Grapes ripening way earlier than usual, feels like Autumn. Just wish this rain would stop, onto our 3rd day of solid rain. At least i dont have to water . lol.

lythande1, Feb 11, 11:56am
I know.
never liked beans, any beans until husband found these.

glenn-ellyn, Feb 11, 12:01pm
My tomatoes doing xtra well. I put in two zucchini plants. One has produced very well. The other (lol) has given me 12 beautiful cucumbers. I also planted purple dwarf beans and they were so so. Thank you for your messages.

oh_hunnihunni, Dec 26, 4:13pm
My beans were wonderful, I've hauled them all out now to dry off for seed. I prefer the white seeded Italian runner - no strings if picked young, and prolific - and marries well planted alongside the tall butter beans. Both pick at the same time. My tomatoes on the other hand have been smaller than usual, but very tasty and no tough skins. They're coming out too, soon as the rain stops, so I can start refreshing the mix and thinking about winter veg.