Saving tomato seeds

bransonbelle, Jan 8, 7:20pm
Hi everyone. I was given a couple of interesting tomato seeds this year (Tangella and Olga's round golden chicken egg). The plants grew well and I'm now getting some lovely tomatoes. I'd like to grow some more of these tomatoes next summer and was wondering if I could save some seeds? How would I do this: do I just cut the tomato, remove the seeds, wash them and dry them out on a paper towel? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

maclad, Jan 8, 7:25pm
That sounds good to me, but you need to remember that your plants have probably cross pollinated and the offspring may be totally different to their parents. Still it would be an interesting challenge and who knows what you may come up with. I would not wash the seed, just dry them as you suggested, squished on a paper towel.

samanya, Jan 8, 7:30pm
This.
Dare I say it, but I have grown supermarket bought tomatoes from seed.

happychappy50, Jan 8, 7:33pm
As Mac has suggested

harrislucinda, Jan 8, 7:55pm
i just dry them on paper towels then when planting leave on the paper cover with soil

maclad, Jan 8, 8:01pm
That would work but I would try to loosen them from the paper and then sow them so you get a more even spread of seedlings which are easier to separate and transplant. You don't want them coming up too thick and close.

bransonbelle, Jan 8, 9:41pm
Great advice, thank you everyone.

lythande1, Jan 9, 6:46am
Yes, as you say, paper towel. Unless they are a hybrid they will grow just fine. We do this every year, keep seed from the ones we grow. (Which originally were Sweet delight from the supermarket). They grow true.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 9, 8:22am
If you get clump of seedlings, soak them in a bucket of water for a while, to loosen their roots. They're then easily separated without damage .

aloha3, Jan 9, 1:43pm
I don't wash them. Just spread on a paper towel, dry and leave stuck on the paper towel (or newspaper) Next year I cut thee seeds up and plant still attached to the paper. Will Keep for several seasons

aloha3, Jan 9, 1:45pm
Keep the best looking and ripest. If you save from several then more chance of some of them growing.

bransonbelle, Jan 9, 2:03pm
Yes thank you everyone. I've picked the nicest and ripest of each tomato and spread the seeds on a paper towel to dry. I might do it again in a couple of weeks just to make sure I've got enough and from a different plant to cover myself. Can't wait for next season now!
I'm guessing you can do a similar thing with cucumber seeds too? I'm growing apple cucumbers and would like to save some seeds to plant again for next summer.
Just as an aside, I really struggled to get my capsicum seeds to germinate this year and they are from a packet of seeds from Yates (due to expire 2019) so who knows what I did wrong there. Thank you :)

ira78, Jan 15, 3:48pm
It's usually not tough. Before I weedmatted in my greenhouse I'd have dozens of tomato plants growing up in the dirt where hadn't picked up some fallen tomatoes. Growing in my compost bin, etc.