Chimney sweeping, help please.

maclad, May 18, 3:08pm
Just rung the guy I have used for many years and he is no longer sweeping as due to OSH (LOL) restrictions it is becoming too expensive and people do not want to pay for the extra safety requirements. Is anybody able to guide me through cleaning my own chimney on my Kent Metro. Happy to do it myself but do not know about, if I need to remove ?panels? in the firebox so I can remove soot, or what. Happy for any help.

hazelnut2, May 18, 3:28pm
You could call him back and ask him who IS doing this kind of job these days.

maclad, May 18, 3:49pm
I did but he had no answer, besides which I would kind like to learn how to do it. Can't be that hard.

martin11, May 18, 3:59pm
The hard part is when you fall off the roof .

maclad, May 18, 4:01pm
I ain't a gonna do that, besides only a low single storey, no probs.

melford, May 18, 4:07pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz8UBjesjUU This video shows you how to do it

flier3, May 18, 4:40pm
I've known the theory, but seeing the video is great, so thanks nanee2jlp

maclad, May 18, 5:10pm
But where does all the gunk go, do I need to remove baffles/fireproof plates inside fire box to remove it all. How do I remove the top plate so I can clean it out

akl439, May 18, 5:37pm
Phone Pete the Sweep in Tauranga. Been doing our chimney for years, does a great job. You might have to wait a few weeks for him though.

maclad, May 18, 5:41pm
Waiting is no prob, thanks. My sweep of many years no longer does chimneys due to all the OSH nonsense.

macman26, May 18, 6:15pm
Find a manual for your fire. You need to remove top baffle. May just lift out or may need to remove other parts first. Should be easy. I have an air pipe under mine. Pin and one end. Remove then pipe slides right and left end drops down.

bill1451, May 18, 6:28pm
tie a chook up by its legs on a long rope, throw chook down chimney, flaps and squawks its way down to the bottom, pull chook out with rope. oh almost forgot, put newspaper over door and shut door, just in case your door is not sealing well. do not use vacumn cleaner as the dust is very fine and will ruin the motor.

maclad, May 18, 6:52pm
You are so funny, NOT. Hate any reference to animal cruelty, intentional or not. Get a life.

lythande1, May 19, 7:38am
Husband made a wire "brush" type thing, attached it to some long poles and did it himself for years. Removed nothing except up top, on roof. He'd clean out the box after doing the clean from up top.

hazelnut2, May 19, 8:12am
You can buy chimney sweeping brushes at your local hardware store. A ' tip' is to tie a thin rope to the loop at the end of the brushy section, so that if it falls off the poles (unscrews), you can pull it out again!

arabelle, May 19, 8:41am
I prepare the woodbox section for my plumber, first clean it out, then line with a newspaper, and also in front of the open door. the baffle or ceiling for mine, needs an upward lift then to the right, tilt and tip down on the left, all the soot and carbon then fall into the newspaper lining, I brush that off, and leave it propped up inside. clean the door window and wait. The plumber then does his cleaning of the flue, checks the roof around the chimney, and then since mine is 'freestanding' checks for holes etc of the flue within the house. and that the bricks inside are still lining the box and checks the door sealing rope.
The 'muck' that comes off is then gathered in the newspaper and put in the hen run for my hens to scratch around in.
some insurance companies demand that a certified chimney sweep does it, so that all aspects are checked as safe, others dont, so do check that bit out, cos even if you have a flood, and they ask about the chimney, they can refuse to pay out.
Why do I clean out my firebox first? I hear the mutterers, well I like to see just how much build up has happened over the winter season, so I can see I burn it hot enough to keep it reduced. It should be on the netty somewhere how to 'move your baffle plate' if different to my action

pauldw, May 19, 11:07am
If you know the names of any of those Insurance companies please list them.

The flue sweepings will have a lot of creosote in it. Is that the sort of stuff you want your chooks in?

arabelle, May 19, 4:08pm
YUP to my hens being able to access creosote/ash if they want it, it is after all about 3 cupfuls, since I only burn wood,
And since I sense lots of sarcasm in your response I shall allow you to do a google search and read all about it.
As for insurance companies , I read about many folk who want to clean their own chimneys but its banned by the insurance company. On the general living support groups. I also have been given certificates from the cleaners when I used the chimney sweep firm, saying to keep it in a safe place for my insurance co. My own insurance company, suggest but do not demand that a certified sweep is used at least once every 2 yrs. As to who that is is NOYB. as you certainly wont be able to use them

midget8, May 26, 7:03pm
Chicken wire scrunched up round decent size rock,tied to good length rope-up and down,up and down and Bob's your uncle!

mojo49, May 26, 9:45pm
Call any local fireplace installer - sales outlet and they should be able to tell you who sweeps chimneys. We just had our free standing fire done and the guy used tools that go up the chimney from inside the fire. No climbing on the roof. Too easy. No OSH - H&S issues. Already booked for next year $75!

doree36, May 27, 9:23am
Ring "the Fire Shop" here in Tauranga Have been having them for years - do a great job both from the top and inside . no climbing on the roof either. charge around $79.00 Noni R.

doree36, May 28, 9:47am
sorry - he doesn't climb on our roof. chimney on an outside wall

j96, Nov 5, 5:00pm
Pretty sure most insurance companies have a clause re getting it cleaned professionally annually. Mine does (AMI)