Has anyone used a chemical chimney cleaner?

mcdjean1, Apr 10, 5:16pm
My roof is very steep and the chimney even higher than roof. Too dangerous to get up there. I believe there are chemical cleaners available? If so what and where? Thanks

pauldw, Apr 10, 5:38pm
What sort of fire is it? It should be possible to clean the chimney by pushing the rods up with a seal to keep the soot in.

golfdiver, Apr 11, 1:42pm
Aren't all chimneys higher than the roof?

skin1235, Apr 11, 2:26pm
back a long time ago Dad used to bundle up any spare copper wire, and once per year toss it onto a hot fire, he claimed it cleaned the chimney fine, we certainly never had to get it cleaned

There is a pot of chemical that used to be sold as chimney cleaner, not sure if its still on the market, what it does, or what poisons are involved, similar to Cuprox garden spray powder ( again with the copper - there may be the start point to research

skin1235, Apr 11, 2:35pm

cantabman1, Apr 12, 8:28am
It is a short term fix, but sooner rather than later, you should get it done by a sweep.
If you don't, then your insurance WILL be void if there is a fire. Your choice!

macman26, Apr 13, 1:16am
Must be something wrong with our chimney. Been here 10 years. Check it a couple of times a year and never swept it. I figured it must be the birds that keep getting into it and flap around keeping it clean.

pauldw, Apr 13, 6:41am
I have a metal flue rather than a chimney. Whenever I look at it it never seems too bad but basically you're just staring into a blaçk hole. Shoving the brush up and down a fèw times once a year usually produces about 2l containeÅ• of soot.

lythande1, Apr 13, 7:32am
I sure wouldn't stick chemicals in a chimney.
Get a professional cleaner in.

lilyfield, Apr 13, 10:39am
We used it years ago with the old visor fireplace and their long metal inside chimney. It worked very well. We sprinkled crystals on the embers once a week before going to bed

nzjay, Apr 13, 12:02pm
http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimney/Chimney-Maintenance-Products/Big-Stick-Soot-Creosote-Remover

It burns with a blue, green flame, so probably copper salts of some sort.
These sort of products might be ok in a brick chimney, but may corrode steel flues, so beware.

tegretol, Apr 16, 9:53am
Chimney cleaners around here won't go near a roof of more than 15 degrees and insist upon full height scaffolding being erected. It's called "being able to pick and choose your jobs".

mrfxit, Apr 16, 10:31am
OSH/ACC/Worksafe
Theres your problem.
Created for sloppy workers to protect them from their own stupidity

tegretol, Nov 25, 3:17pm
True but the inconsistency around the country in terms of how this is enforced makes a mockery of it. The rules have become another tool in the service providers armoury of justifying their rates.