CHIMNEy CLEan

2xpetes, Feb 9, 9:55pm
What is the best way?

macman26, Feb 10, 2:50am
Something like this.
https://www.bunnings.co.nz/raven-flue-brush-set-150mm-diameter-orange_p00285273

Look around. There are some for sale on trademe also. Just work out what size you need.
Or pay someone to come and clean it.

wasgonna, Feb 10, 8:09am
Make sure they're wire brushes.

tweake, Feb 10, 8:44am
check your insurance.
some require professional cleaning otherwise they will deny claim if house burns down.

pauldw, Feb 10, 9:21am
The Insurance Council and the chimney sweeps say that but it's hard to find an example of a company that specifies professional cleaning. If you can't do a proper clean yourself then you should get someone else to do it.

2xpetes, Feb 10, 5:30pm
THank you for all your replies

planespotterhvn, Feb 10, 5:57pm
I do a better job than the professionals. Bought my own Brush that suited an electrical conduit thread. Bought 8Metre length of Conduit, cut it into 4, glued the male and female threaded couplers onto each end.
Gotta take the baffle out of the Firebox or you cannot get the brush to come out again as the bristles cannot reverse.
Taking the baffle out means you get rid of the soot and creosote sitting on top of it.
Mine is a nylon bristle brush which helps prevent the stainless flue from dissimilar metal corrosion.
Stay safe on your roof!

pauldw, Feb 10, 10:37pm
Are you sure that the brush is designed for your flue diameter?

onl_148, Feb 13, 12:13pm
For approx. $60 get the professional to do it. they have the right kit, expertise etc to do it. The chimmey man I use here in Blenheim is very efficient, takes him about 25 to 30 minutes, has all the drop cloths, vacuum cleaner etc etc. signs off as having done it, during the "cleaning season" he is so busy, you get an appointment for about 1 months time.

arabelle, Dec 25, 3:18am
I use the plumber and cos I'm rural its around the $100 mark, they do a roof check, flue and chimney check and the woodbox itself.
I can do the seal round the door myself, and thats fairly easy.
I have thought of doing the August clean myself and just have them come at the beginning of the season. Then feel all checks n compliance needs are met