Old Kent fire

Page 1 / 2
christin, Jun 16, 4:46pm
Haven't used for a few years but now ready to go.

Can't rember how the levers work. One pulls out and one slides left to right,

Anyone enlighten me? I think pull the in out one out till fire gets going and the out back in?

Any other hints?

Thanks!

sunnysue1, Jun 16, 4:53pm
Hope the chimney sweep has been. those birds love nesting in them

zak410, Jun 16, 5:00pm
The slider must be for the air, keep it left (open?) until the fire goes strongly, then you can control it with that.

Pull the other one (!) out also when starting the fire, close it after a while, that must reduce the flue. ?

christin, Jun 16, 5:04pm
That sounds right, the out to start is what I thought

Not sure what side the slider should be though when starting,. could be trial and error but I'm not experienced doing fires so thought someone may know so I don't have to do duds!

Will try left u less anyone suggests different :-)

Other fireplace in house is easy! Open one

circularboy, Jun 16, 6:17pm
I have a old Kent fire as well. On lighting, have the flue one pulled right out and the side slider to the left. Once the fire is going well, close the flue and adjust the side slider to control the heat output. The flue one actually prevents the door from being opened unless you pull it out. Last thing you want is a room full of smoke! Marvelous fires that throw out a lot of heat and also easily go all night and half the next day.

christin, Jun 16, 6:47pm
Thanks. Iv got it going now, seems to die down a lot if I close flue etc. trial ans error etc.

I guess it's practice etc, at least it's still going lol

This is an old brown one, asked the fire guy if worth replacing with an updated one and he said these are better in his opinion so will stick with it

bill1451, Jun 16, 7:33pm
outdated now and you will by council regulations be forced to replace it, be
prepared to spend $4000 + we replaced ours with a woodsman brunner
best thing we ever did.

christin, Jun 16, 7:39pm
I think it's only new fires that need to meet regulations in Auckland.

Changes from 1 June 2017

Under the new bylaw, Aucklanders can still use their open indoor fires and their current wood burners.

However, from 1 June 2017 any new wood burner installed in an Auckland home must meet the regional standards in the new bylaw, in addition to the criteria for new wood burners specified in the national wood burner standards set by central government through the National Environmental Standards for Air Quality.

Also, to minimise smoke and contaminants being released into the air, from 1 June Aucklanders must not burn any of the following materials in their indoor fires: wet wood, wood and wood products that are painted, wood that is tanalised or treated, fuel with a high sulphur content (e.g. high-sulphur coal), household rubbish or green waste.

Improving Auckland's air quality

Mike Sinclair, Manager Social Policy and Bylaws, says the new bylaw will be in place in time for this winter, which creates an opportunity for the council to communicate more effectively with Aucklanders about how they can use their indoor fires responsibly. This will help maintain good air quality across the Auckland region.

“Like the rest of New Zealand, Auckland’s air quality is impacted by air pollution from several sources, including indoor domestic fires. Central government has established national air-quality standards and it is the responsibility of local and regional councils to ensure these are met."

“With the bylaw now approved we are in a better position to help educate Aucklanders about what should and should not be burned in their home fires to minimise harm to their own health, and the health of the environment.”

Changing times

Sinclair explains that the new bylaw is not as restrictive as the one proposed in 2014, which looked to phase out certain types of indoor fires.

christin, Jun 16, 7:42pm
Doesn't seem to be pushing out the heat, dumb question, I can get a fire going, but when I shut the flue, even a bit , and move the slider over to push out heat from the front vents it pretty much dies down to embers?

Is that normal? Leaving it going as a flame etc, doesn't see to put heat into the room.

What's this fireplace new by doing wrong?

circularboy, Jun 16, 10:22pm
x1
If you shut the flue and leave the slider open (to the left) that is the 'high' setting. I have just realised that you must have an inbuilt Kent, whereas mine is freestanding. Know doubt the controls are the same, just less heat output with the inbuilt as you don't get the warmth from the chimney flue. May take a good 30 minutes to get significant heat coming from the inbuilt.

christin, Jun 16, 11:08pm
x1
Thanks. Had a bit of reading an have a few ideas to try tomorrow.

Said something on the Kent site about only when the flue is warmed up enough to create the necessary draft to keep fire going,

I'll,try tomorrow with more wood flaming to get it hot. I was putting it in gradually scared of putting too much in but think s big hot burning pile may be better.

Also said leave the door open whilst burning for about five mins so will try to,orrow.

lythande1, Jun 17, 8:34am
Pull out to open it up. Slider is for turning it up or down.
Out and fully up to start, once fire going push lever in.
Then adjust slider as wanted.
never leave the lever out, you allowing the heat to go straight up the chimney and it can't do it's double burn.

christin, Jun 17, 8:55am
I did that. Fire dies down. No flames showing just embers.

zak410, Jun 17, 9:51am
What sort of firewood are you using ? Is it very dry ?

christin, Jun 17, 10:11am
Not sure of the tree types but cut down two years ago so not green wood

Friends have used it last year and good burning,

Started with pine kindling, might just be my technique?

wenpen, Jun 17, 10:28am
You are like me with fires lol we would both make terrible pyromaniacs.

christin, Jun 17, 10:44am
Lol, I can start if off burning! Not my fault it dies down when levers changed lol. 😉

I can do a fine one in open fire place!

paw9, Jun 17, 2:53pm
The slider adjusts the air flow into the unit. A fire needs oxygen to burn so have the slider fully open unless you want the fire to stay smouldering overnight. The air flow lines can get restricted over time and a bit clogged so give the slider a few good hard jiggles left to right might help.

christin, Jun 17, 3:12pm
I had the slider open, the pull out thing open too which I closed gradually once fire established.

Think I need practice!

Even when the fire was going didn't seem to warm up the room, even when practically in front of it

trah, Jun 17, 7:12pm
We had a Kent inbuilt at my previous house, and I have Kent tile fire here. The instruction manual said to leave the flue lever out for a good 30 mins after the fire is lit to ensure heat is built up first. I scrunch up newspaper first, then lay very dry kindling cross hatched over, and put a couple of smaller logs on top before lighting. Apparently it is best to have a shallow base of ash to lay the fire on, so you shouldn’t not shovel out ashes completely when they have built up.

christin, Jun 17, 7:38pm
Thanks. I have ash in there.

Will try again tomorrow, then30 mins is probably similar to what I read that the flue has to get hot to do a draft. Maybe I'll just start it and leave it and get it hot hot hot!

Im currently in front of a roaring open fire so can build those fine!

christin, Jun 18, 5:35pm
Well it's been burning well for an hour and a half and barely any heat coming out

I have a roaring fire in therr, slider still on left for high and flue thing pushed back in so hear doesn't escape up chimney

Looks good just can't get the hear out of it. But burning well,,,,,

I'm beginning to realise why I like the heat pump! :-(

greys, Jul 19, 1:04am
When was the fire completely cleaned last?
Have you checked the condition of the baffle, airtube(s), and firebricks?

I removed my baffle, airtube and firebricks this year and gave everything a complete clean.
The air holes in the airtube were blocked so I unblocked them.

Amazingly after properly cleaning the fire and flue the fire ran much hotter and used much less wood.

My fire is a kent logfire insert.

christin, Jul 19, 9:41pm
Was checked definitely by a chimney guy before this one, he checked baffle etc and said it was fine. It has had under 10 fires between then and the most recent sweep a month or two ago,

The most recent guy said it was good too. I don't know how to check myself but would assume nothing wrong in that respect.

christin, Jul 19, 9:42pm
It seems to get very hot in firebox, ie if door ajar once going it's very hot. Just doesn't pump far into the room

Once it starts been going for an hour or two it's hot to stand in front of, but doesn't heat the room as such.