Found converting to gas expensive (pipes)?

rayonline_tm, Mar 24, 2:29pm
Obviously not a new house. Older houses may had the thinner gas pipes. Instant gas ought to have thicker pipes right. If pipes are in the ceiling space or under flooring esp under tile flooring, gas heaters in lounge and need to redo carpet etc etc that gets expensive right? Even a backyard BBQ machine (with natural gas).

Anyone in this situation?

:)

wembley1, Mar 24, 4:34pm
What do you mean by "instant gas"?

What do you mean by "thinner gas pipes" for that matter?

rayonline_tm, Mar 24, 6:24pm
Instant gas = instant hot water heater by gas. Like a Rinnai Infinity unit. Not cylinder hot water.

Thicker pipes = older houses have thinner 15mm gas pipes but these Rinnai systems needs thicker 20mm pipes to be installed.

So it can require a bit of work going under the house and under the floor boards to replace the pipes .

gabbysnana, Mar 24, 6:24pm
Dont understand any of that.

tweake, Mar 24, 6:47pm
the more gas appliances, or new high output appliances will require bigger diameter gas pipes. also longer distance comes into play.
instant hot water systems are really high powered and require decent gas flow.
one of the guys at work said their place required a really big pipe to one of the instant hot water units because it was at the opposite end of the house. complained about the $$$.

rayonline_tm, Mar 24, 6:48pm
The hot water that doesn't come from a hot cylinder. Those gas ones that you can have 24/7 on demand hot water. A lot of the old houses have more narrow gas pipes (from the gas meter to the gas hot water). Now there is a trend towards gas cooking and gas hot water on demand 24/7 that I've been told needs gas pipes with a larger diameter. So it means redoing all the pipes.

gph1961, Mar 24, 8:12pm
use bottled gas close to appliance
we have 2 bottle positions as hot water and cooking are far apart

supernova2, Mar 24, 10:51pm
And there is also a problem when you have the plastic gas pipes in your house as we found out. Whatever they were you can still use them but its not legal for any work to be done on them so in our case the complete house had to be repiped from the meter to each appliance. It wasn't cheap !

gph1961, Mar 25, 8:00am
hence the multiple bottle system

wembley1, Mar 25, 8:30am
Thinner to my mind meant the thickness of the actual pipe and not its bore or inside diameter. This is what determines the amount of gas it can deliver.

I did suspect you might also have been talking about a system used for a short time in the eighties before it fell out of favour. See post #8

wembley1, Mar 25, 9:26am
You're talking about the flexigas or IPI system?

Probably a bit late now but I understand that there was certain amount of work that was allowed to be done on the existing system (such as replacing appliances).

ESS now at Worksafe NZ had a information sheet on what could or couldn't be done.

supernova2, Dec 4, 3:09pm
Our problem was that we wanted to add another appliance to the system