Is it too late to sow broad beans in Canterbury?

samanya, Jan 26, 12:30pm
I'm bumping this to report that I bit the bullet & planted some broad beans shortly after posting this thread & I'm pleased to say that last night I had my first feed of the second crop. Plants are healthy & strong & loaded & not a spray needed, no diseases so it was definitely worth it.
Off to pick & freeze now.

samanya, Nov 16, 4:44pm
I've grown a new variety this year & the yield is not great, although they are the best broad beans I've ever tasted.
I am not going to get many to freeze & just wondered if I could put another crop in now?

les6, Nov 16, 5:17pm
you could but the reason they are growen over the cooler times is they are really prone to rust and other fungal disaeses.You would have to have a strict spray programme to combat this which is ok but not for me as it detracts from the homegrowen theme(for me anyway)if you have to spray with whatever at any regular interval.

samanya, Nov 16, 5:24pm
Thanks for your reply . Yeah, I was wondering about that.
One year, my beans grew side shoots, so I cut the main stems out, after harvest & got a second smaller crop about May, so that's what made me wonder.
I could give it a go, I suppose . I have the space.

oh_hunnihunni, Nov 16, 6:33pm
And here's me deciding which pods to leave on for autumn seed, and which plants to pull out very soon. I'm putting Sally Holmes in their place - (a long raised tub I inherited from the last inmate, lol) to take over the high balcony above. I enjoy the beans, but it's time to put something pretty in that spot. My dwarf yellow beans are near pickable and the runners and butter beans are well on the way now. It's lovely to have fresh beans almost year round, worth the effort.

lythande1, Mar 22, 3:08pm
Broad beans are a cool weather crop, now is the wrong time, try again end of summer so they grow over autumn.