Blue Moon Butterfly

starseeker, May 6, 4:48pm
We were amazed to see a black & white butterfly on our camellia hedge today! We took numerous photos as it flitted around then stopped to sip nectar & to spread its wings in the sun. Beautiful, we are so blessed to see this rare beauty; they are said to only arrive here on the wind from Australia, & do not breed here. This one was in perfect condition, hard to believe that it would have been blown right across the Tasman! I would post photos on here if I knew how!

sailor13, May 6, 6:04pm
We had one in our garden about 4 yrs ago and took it to the butterfly house in thames they were pleased to get it .We live in Tauranga.

pipilongstockng, May 27, 8:48am
starseeker this butterfly sounds lovely - Id like to see a pic if possible :)
To upload go to 'My trade me' (above) then just below that select 'View My Trade me' then down the bottom of that screen select 'My photos'. On that screen you have the ability to upload the photo. Once done open the photo and copy the details from the top line and then you come back in here and do your message and paste it.

starseeker, May 28, 7:20pm
IMGP0494.JPG
(2736x3648)

starseeker, May 28, 7:22pm
Um, I dumb.

pipilongstockng, May 28, 8:07pm
Nah youre ok starseeker, youre nearly there! just a few more steps. So you need to go into My Photos and click on the photo to get it full screen and its on that page you copy the top link . it'll say something like https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/80024760.jpg (that link example only, its not valid)

starseeker, May 28, 8:52pm

starseeker, May 28, 8:55pm
Thank you pipilongstockng!

pipilongstockng, May 28, 11:41pm
Thanks for sharing the pic starseeker - wow to think it came all that way for your camelia tree !

coop19, Jun 3, 10:35am
Caught one of those a few years ago on wild portulaca weed on the farm. They lay their eggs on that and feed on the flowers in Oz. This one arrived at a time of big bushfires in NSW. They were lifted high by the hot air and were arriving all along the north coast and even here with the westerlies. I took mine to the Butterfly house on the Thames Coast. They were chuffed to get it as they had a smaller Asian variety of the same species and were hoping it would cross with them.

starseeker, Jun 3, 7:17pm
We live in Hamilton & were amazed that it was in such good condition. Normally they are blown across the Tasman, but there had been no recent gales, & we are well inland. I sent a photo to a butterfly expert, & she said that there had been occasional reports of them breeding in NZ, so who knows where it came from. It stayed in our garden for a couple of hours, sometimes flitting around, then resting on the bricks on our house, then flying down to the camellia flowers to feed. We felt really privileged!
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/804871184.jpg

rainrain1, Nov 3, 8:45pm
Beautiful! Lucky you.