Natural Remedy for White Butterfly.

mumstu, Feb 22, 3:49am
Is there anything natural (as in not chemical) that I can use for white butterfly!

They are a real pest at the moment and I dont like to use chemicals in the garden when possible.

dibble35, Feb 22, 4:29am
BT spray is natural/organic

bexter2, Feb 22, 6:20am
plant mint between caulis

toxictanyia, Feb 22, 6:35am
Where can you get this bt spray from. Any gardening shop

redhead96, Feb 22, 6:44am
Fly swat , it's good exercise

macandrosie, Feb 22, 7:12am
If you can make sure you keep the water up to your brassicas because when it gets a bit dry the plants are more vulnerable to insect attack! So give a good soaking either early evening or first thing in the morning.

wasgonna, Feb 22, 7:52am
Derris Dust that has been used for years by home gardeners. Made from plant root extracts so as natural as anything.

squeaking, Feb 22, 8:13am
Yes Derris dust, works realy well and non toxic

spiritofgonzo, Feb 22, 8:19am
If you grow lettuce, blend it with lots of water, you can spray it on the brassicas and it disguises them.It really works.

canz, Feb 22, 10:47am
Thats a really good hint, thank you

peter148, Feb 22, 12:37pm
electric fly swats, about $11 from Bunnings.

lythande1, Feb 22, 6:28pm
Natural.what do you think a chemical is! Water is made of chemicals, air is made of chemicals.
A lot of products used for the garden are made from other plants.
Derris Dust contains rotenone, which occurs naturally in the seeds and stems of several plants, such as the jicama vine plant; and the roots of several members of Fabaceae. It is a chemical.
Pyrethrum, a popular insecticide (natural) comes from Chrysanthemums.
It's a chemical.
Read this for a list of "natural":

http://www.saferfoods.co.nz/chemicals.shtml

cantabman1, Feb 22, 8:33pm
Ive found a good tennis rack does a good job.

cantabman1, Feb 22, 8:36pm
To OP:
Plant African marrigolds aroung your brassicas, and the natural Pyrethrem given off by the plant will put off the buttiflies and bugs.

liamjosh, Feb 22, 10:15pm
I use "No Caterpillars".It is an organic spray.Apparently it is a natural fungus that kills the newly hatched caterpillar once it hatches and starts to feed.It is really good, found it to be hugely successful.Am still using the same box I bought four years ago and is still working.

http://www.garden-nz.co.nz/tips-tasks-how-to/know-how/organic-no-caterpillars.html

r.g.nixon, Feb 22, 10:16pm
You need to upscale. Tennis rackets are the thing!

mottly, Feb 23, 5:58am
yep, tennis rackets - we must've got at least 100 today!I plant nasturtium's around my vege plots - they prefer them to the vege.but I can't help but kill them anyway!We've taught the dog and our cats to catch them too - they do a great job when we're not looking lol

mumstu, Feb 23, 7:28am
Thanks for these suggestions.Will give some a go.Was down in the garden today and the poor veges are getting a hammering!

dibble35, Mar 19, 7:16pm
Sorry for the delay in replying, you should be able to get BT spray at most garden centres/mitre10/bunnings etc. It is Bacillus thurengensis.spelling is probably wrong but not far off, may show up on google.