Planting suggestions please for low maintenance

catsmeat1, Oct 29, 8:02pm
Planting suggestions please for low maintenance garden planter. We are putting in a long planter to run underneath our balcony, it will be 11.5 metres long and 1.2 metres deep. I am not an avid gardener and it will be far too big for me to keep up with annuals etc. So I am thinking maybe a bark type garden with small natives or something else small shrubby such as grevilias. One thing we are aware of is not having anything that will grow very tall or large spreading and roots pushing out the walls.
Would welcome any suggestions as I keep looking at the grass plantings on the side of the motorway, I quite like them but they are a tad too industrial. Thanks.

happychappy50, Oct 29, 8:05pm
I have my driveway planted out in Gazanias,they are bright & do not require maintenance,can go without water for long periods of time,no pests that I know of.

catsmeat1, Oct 29, 8:39pm
Just googled gazanias - they definitely sound like "easy care". Thanks for the suggestion.

docsportello, Oct 30, 7:44am
What’s the light like under there? How about predominant wind direction? Is it dampish or dry under the deck? Is it under the deck, or just below the deck and open to rain/sky/tree canopy?

rita197, Oct 31, 9:13am
Is it a sunny or shady spot? You could plant a repeat pattern using Pittosporum ' Golf Ball', Silver Bush, Hebe 'Lavender Lace' and Choisya Ternata ( trim to shape the choiysia) and small toetoe. if it is a sunny spot.

jan2242, Oct 31, 9:55am
renga renga lilies - will take over and need no care basically. I have them under my deck and they filled the space within about 1-2 years? Have lovely white flowers.Also known as Arthropodium cirratum - NZ Renga Renga. Bound to be lots on here you can get.

catsmeat1, Oct 31, 1:03pm
Totally open, the planter is not underneath the deck. Open sunny, yes a bit of wind. Thanks

catsmeat1, Feb 23, 5:43pm
Thanks for the suggestions Rita and Jan, will look those plants up!