Gas HW

elect70, Jul 8, 11:26am
HW cylinder needs replacing wondered if going to gas would be more economic as its only i person house & water heating costs is about $45 month .

crab2, Jul 8, 12:02pm
it is worth it, never run out and if only you then the 45kg bottle would probably last you around 6 months depending on how you use it. I suggest getting the temperature controller and have your hot and cold water mix at the shower to save more gas as your not having to add cold water and wasting gas

trad, Jul 8, 12:24pm
If you have no other gas appliances, don't forget to add the gas line charge onto your predicted gas usage charge per month.

axelvonduisberg, Jul 8, 1:20pm
Gas for cooking, Hot Water and heating is cheaper, but one needs to check the cost of installing could outweight ang advantaes.

You will need to investigate costings.

trade4us2, Jul 8, 7:55pm
I used a gas system for a large camp. It heated the water up only when a tap was turned on. It didn't need a tank. It was very economical. The total cost was about $500 including an electric pump which you probably don't need.

jh34, Jul 8, 8:48pm
Does the cost vary much region to region?

supernova2, Jul 11, 10:19am
Think about this:
Replace existing HW cylinder is just, in general terms, a case of buying a cylinder and say an hours labour for a plumber. Perhaps $1,000 - $1500. Done.
Go to gas, you have to buy a continuous unit, get a gas fitter, change your pluming, perhaps an electrician. Perhaps $2500 - $3500.
Either way you still have to pay for the energy used to heat the water. LPG bottle is about $100 per bottle which might last 3 months before empty so OP would reduce monthly water heating bill from 45 to say 30 - saving 15 a month. That means it will take at least 130 months to recover the extra costs of putting in the gas system. In OP's case I think I'd stick with electric. Also new electric cylinder is likely to be much more efficient than old so power use should drop anyway.

loose.unit8, Jul 11, 11:00am
Hot water heat pumps are about 1/3-1/2 of the power cost of a normal cylinder - much cheaper to run than gas

supernova2, Jul 11, 11:51am
Nice idea but what's the cost for one of those compared to just replacing the existing old electric cylinder?
Looks like the unit is about $7500. Ouch!

wembley1, Jul 11, 1:02pm
You're making a few assumptions there;
You can get gas storage hot water units, either a unit that could probably go in the same cupboard as the old electric one or an outside "freeloader"

The OP is from Levin so may already have reticulated natural gas — either on his street or already in his house.

The most recent issue of Consumer magazine is dedicated to home heating and from memory says that natural gas is the cheapest energy source for water heating.

jan2242, Jul 12, 10:23am
Could you just install a califont for the bathroom? This is something I am thinking of doing as heating 180L is a waste of power.

wembley1, Jul 12, 10:29am
Storage water heaters (gas or elec) are very well insulated nowadays. Why is it a waste?

jan2242, Jul 12, 11:01am
It is a waste as there is only me here. A lot of power to heat the water for just one person. Plus the cylinder is as old as the house and no insulation. And before you ask about wrapping it, it isn't a job easily done - cylinder is in the roof. Heating 180 litres for one person is a total waste.

loose.unit8, Jul 12, 11:58am
It actually doesn't matter.

With a well-insulated cylinder you're only heating the water once either way. There is no(or minimal) wasted energy (hence why hot water cupboards are actually pretty cold these days).

Example - You have a 180 liter cylinder already up to 60 degrees.
You use 10 liters. 10 liters of cold water comes in. You're heating the equivalent of 10 liters up to 60 degrees.

Other example - you don't have a cylinder. You use 10 liters. 10 liters of cold water comes in and you heat it up to 60 degrees.

It's the same. It uses the same amount of energy.

elect70, Jul 13, 2:43pm
Me too unit & instalation costs dont worry me bros a gas fitter /plumber & can get unit at good price . I want to know the relative cost between heating via electricity or gas .( LPG BBq bottle ) as low user not worth getting full size bottles & the extra costs &minimum use & gas isnt down my way

socram, Jul 13, 3:58pm
Go gas! We have been on mains gas for years, HW, cooking and heating.

Just remember that when a tree falls on the power lines and you are without electricity for several days, or when the EV take up is huge but they can't supply enough power, you'll be sitting pretty - and warm!

To the best of my knowledge, mains gas is only ever cut off when someone drives a digger through a gas line, but touch wood, we have never, ever had a gas cut.

Bottled gas is still probably well worth it, if only for having an alternative.

cagivachick1, Jul 13, 5:01pm
1 hrs labour to switch a HWC over. ya dreamin

brightlights60, Jul 13, 8:01pm
Great idea. We changed the house over to instant gas a couple of years ago and shaved around $100 a month off our power bill. We are just doing the sleepout now which is two beds and a bathroom for the youngest. I think if you are replacing or renovating and your cyclinder is old, then its a good idea. If not, you have to weigh it up. We only need the smaller bottle for the sleepout and have two big bottles for the hot water to the house and also have gas hobb. Very happy with it.

supernova2, Jul 13, 10:53pm
Why not.
Turn off two gate valves, undo 2 pipes and 1 wire, lift cylinder out and lift cylinder in, Reconnect 2 pipes, 1 wire turn valves back. If the plumber can't do that in an hour why not.
Now if you have to remove the cupboard door frame because the cylinder is bigger than the doorway, replace all the pressure valves, get an electrician in and all sorts of other work due to finding your house was plumbed out in Qest then sure who knows what the labour will be.

supernova2, Jul 13, 11:00pm
Swopping a gas HWC into the space previously used by an electric HWC is a complex job. Chop into the roof for the flue, run the gas main which might be easy or maybe not depending. If perhaps its a Lockwood I'd say almost impossible. Most gas HWC's are mains pressure so you might have issues with your tapwork.
IMHO if going gas the only logical option is an instant/continuous unit. In most cases LPG bottles will be the cheapest install. Even if you have existing mains gas you might find that you have the "old" piping system which can continue to be used until you make any adjustment to your system and then you have to rip the lot out. Thats not cheap.

loose.unit8, Jul 18, 11:48am
How much was the extra gas bill per month?

ceebee2, Oct 19, 3:48pm
I had gas removed and a heat pump including a stainless steel cylinder all up installed cost $2500.00 about 2 years ago so very cost effective.
The heat pump uses max. 1Kw of power to heat a 320L cylinder and produces 3Kw of heat output into the cylinder. All of this of course is for mains pressure systems.
Reason I removed the reticulated gas is the exhorbitant availability supply charge of $41 / month + gas usage on top.

The electric option will pay for itself far quicker because the availability charge is $15 odd / month!