Lawn Mowers

studentkyle, Sep 3, 6:35pm
Is there such a thing as a cheap good lawnmower? And at what point do you cross from poor/average to good+?

golfdiver, Sep 3, 6:52pm
Expectations and task demands will decide much of that. A cheap lawnmower might do a great job for years on a 50m2 lawn but on a 1/3 acre? Not so much

studentkyle, Sep 3, 7:00pm
im on 750 so lets say around 300/400 lawn

gph1961, Sep 3, 8:22pm
sheep
eat it if it doesn't work out

r.g.nixon, Sep 3, 8:50pm
When it has a Briggs & Stratton motor, and an aluminium body rather than steel.

golfdiver, Sep 3, 9:02pm
The victor Razor is a pretty reasonable mower. I’ll get a Honda next time, but I’m a bit of a lawn guy

studentkyle, Sep 3, 10:30pm
Briggs & Stratton isnt an issue plenty of reasonably priced mowers with those motors. aluminum however pushes the price up significantly.
I hate doing the lawn. but cant get rid of it really.

gsimpson, Sep 4, 3:29am
Geese quite good too and let you know if you have intruders.

lythande1, Sep 4, 7:33am
Well yes. Used ones.
We bought a Briggs and Stratton engine, masport mulch/mow/chipper mower 14 years ago off Trademe.

It is only just now starting to burn a bit of oil. IT was so good I'm getting the motor done, don't want a plastic mower.

cantabman1, Sep 4, 8:01am
You probably need to ask yourself. how many years am I going to being mowing this lawn. If it is more than say 6, then I would go for a brand name for long term reliability; E.G Masport, Morrison, or something with a Honda motor and aluminum one piece body.[no rust]

jan2242, Sep 4, 8:25am
Briggs and Stratton engine here also, but the body is rusting away. Will need to replace body soon.

r.g.nixon, Sep 4, 8:28am
But now I've gone to electric/battery. The pull-start was getting too hard for this old man.

studentkyle, Sep 4, 10:25am
12 years that's what I need from it. Lol Then I'm selling.

fast4motion, Sep 4, 6:38pm
Main thing to look for is the type with small blades attached to a disc, which can fold back if they hit something. Cheap ones often have solid mounted blades which can bend the crankshaft if you hit anything.
Also desirable is a plastic catcher rather than a fabric one, ball-bearing wheels, and a mulch feature.
From my research you'll generally pay around $400 for all of those features with a B&S motor and steel deck, or $500 for the same thing with an aluminium deck.
Any less, and you'll probably be compromising on at least one of the above features, so would depend on what you could live with.
Any more, and you're generally paying for features for larger lawns and user convenience (bigger motor, larger cutting width, self-propelled, electric start, self-priming, etc).

bastardsquad, Sep 4, 7:06pm
Looked into this last summer. I've got a shabby 17 year old Victa 2 stroke that still starts first pop most times if i get the fuel priming right and just wont die.$600 for reasonable, but I am also lusting for a Honda at double the price.

kiwisapper, Sep 4, 8:18pm
You omitted to mention their other great contribution,. a never ending supply of squizdie fertiliser, which squidgies up between your toes nicely.

mrfxit, Sep 4, 10:01pm
Agree with it all EXCEPT the plastic catcher.
Haven't used 1 yet that was any good at catching a reasonable amount of grass. . never mind wet grass.

Bag catcher all the way, can take a far bigger beating/ bigger load & easy to repair.
Also easier to empty.

mikebt2000, Sep 16, 10:08am
Don't buy a toro

lythande1, Sep 25, 5:55pm
So lawn mower guy said our motor is great, did a thorough check. he also said Briggs and Stratton are not what they once were and avoid now.
he said Honda is the top mower these days.