Turning a bit of lawn into a parking area?

dibble35, Aug 19, 4:15pm
Whats the simplest way to do this? It has a storm water drain running under part of it so cant concrete, and it gets damp over winter so cant just park on it as it is. Do they still do those blocks with holes in them. dont know what theyre called that you buried into your lawn? TIA

jills3, Aug 19, 4:43pm
gobi blocks, yes we have them in our parking area.

omamari, Aug 19, 5:24pm
I reckon these are way better than concrete blocks - http://www.naturalpaving.co.nz/
They've worked a treat at our place

pico42, Aug 19, 5:50pm
This sort of thing. Turf cells or similar.
Pay attention to the ground prep requirements.

trade4us2, Aug 20, 9:16am
I just dumped 9 cubic metres of scoria on my section in 1992. It cost $60 delivered.

budgel, Aug 21, 11:05am
The problem with Gobi blocks and the like is that they are not simple to install, they require almost as much prep as laying concrete, and they aint cheap either. The plastic product also needs substantial prep if you are going to drive cars over it. Unfortunately it seems like there is no simple solution. maybe 9 cubic metres of scoria is it!

trade4us2, Aug 21, 12:21pm
I have put crushed limestone on top of the scoria. I think it looks nice. I have had to dig trenches for drains and cables, and that was easier than if I had concrete or gobi blocks.

mrfxit, Aug 21, 12:54pm
Had to do an approx 10sqr mtr area for parking a few years ago.
Dug down 50mm & back filled with a mix of medium chip & fine gravel.
Still good for parking even with lawn on top after 20 years

dibble35, Aug 21, 4:35pm
Ok thanks everyone, might just do as mrfixit and trades has suggested, much simpler, (and cheaper). Can do a bit everyday myself so wont put my back out with to much digging all at once. lol.

xs1100, Aug 23, 6:03pm
has anyone tried old bread bins with some 4x2 underneath for support.have to also park my ute with the backwheels on the grass and am thinking turning them upside down with some 4x2 underneath for support

budgel, Aug 24, 2:18pm
What sort of bread bins? I cant even rustle up an image in my memory.

trade4us2, Aug 24, 4:37pm
If you are going to put down scoria or base course or anything like that, it is a little difficult to drive on it until it has compacted down. But don't be disheartened.

mrfxit, Oct 3, 2:14am
Did a driveway many years ago & yes, the loose course chip wasn't easy to drive on, so we put a thin layer of sand on top & that fixed it.