Help with my kent fire

jojo76, Jun 24, 7:47pm
We recently moved into our own home. We have an older style kent inbuilt fireplace, ive tried to upload a photo but not having much success!
So we think it is 1990's. As said it is inbuilt and it is brown on the outsides with a hint of orange around the door.
Our issue is at present it does not have firebricks - is it ment to? It is also a wetback so there is pipes on one side.
I went to a kent retailer today, which wasnt much help TBH. - i will contact kent directly i think.
So my question, does anyone have any idea the model of this beast and if it requires firebricks?
There is no damage we can see to the interior of the box if it is ment to have bricks.

coop19, Jun 24, 8:00pm
Is it the type with the 6 square tiles on both sides? We got firebricks for ours which had broken remnants in place when we bought our last home, from the 'BBQ Factory' in Hamilton. Not very expensive I seem to recall and they knew exactly what was needed. But having said that, it was about 18yrs ago so unsure if they are even still there, etc.
Sorry just re read your post, ours was a free standing Kent.

snoopy221, Jun 24, 8:02pm
Inbuilt older kent that circa most probably no firebricks.
Question 2 controls?
One slide lever for air
And one pull out lever for a top damper?
If 2 controls then no firebricks

jojo76, Jun 24, 8:45pm
Yes 2 controls

jacinda2059, Jun 24, 9:07pm
we have one the same, no fire bricks. still works okay

lythande1, Jun 25, 8:48am
It's fine, it's there and has been for ages.
All you need to worry about is if and when it rusts out.

martin11, Jun 25, 9:59am
25 year old would be getting it checked very carefully . Especially the chimney .

cantabman1, Jun 25, 11:21am
It could be even much older than that, as I sold Kents in the 1970's that is as what has been described. Just don't burn macro or manuka on full heat as you will buckle the fire box.

jojo76, Jun 25, 3:51pm
I remember seeing a report in the LIM about the fire, so found it, and it has installed 1982. so yes older than i expected.
But it all looks sound on the interior very slightly indentation/warped on one side.
We are hoping to upgrade it in the next 2 years

martin11, Jun 25, 4:38pm
Check the chimney and when was it last properly cleaned

ryanm2, Jun 25, 7:39pm
I would have thought the orange and brown would have given a hint to the 80's or late 70's

christin, Jun 26, 6:04pm
Is it like mine? Mines browner than it looks here, with yellows orange brown around glass

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/820340471.jpg

jojo76, Jun 27, 12:42am
Hard to tell Christin.
Got a photo to upload of ours
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/820506845.jpg

greenfox, Jun 27, 8:04am
Hijacking the thread. Why do fireplaces have bricks? I thought the idea was to get the heat into the room as opposed to insulating it?

christin, Jun 27, 6:34pm
Yep that looks the same. I'm thinking of upgrading mine too. Chimney sweep guy said the older ones like this are better. though hate the brown lol,

christin, Jun 27, 6:55pm
Mines rustier on the fin bits, always has been since I moved in. But I'd say the same.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/821138908.jpg

golfaholic2, Jun 27, 7:11pm
Its to do with clean burning , reflecting heat into the burn zone and preserving heat inside the box longer
Also protects the casing , but not a great deal

bryshaw, Jun 27, 7:38pm
The old Kents can be loaded with wood and then be turned right down overnight and they just smoulder. Then in the morning it usually bursts into life when opened up.

jojo76, Jun 27, 8:16pm
We have lived in many homes and never had a fire that can last through the night, but this Kent can, it does go really well, just a pitty it is getting up there in age :(

christin, Oct 25, 9:00pm
I have problems getting mine pumping out thr heat. I can get a fire roaring in thrrr and heat is coming out thr vents, but takes ages and just takes chill of my kitchen lounge area, not heats it up as I'd expect.

Not sure why not. But for thst reason I only light it ehrn going to spend hours in that area, which is not often as live alone and if cold just go to bed lol,

Supposed to be good tho so si,l have yet another go this weekend,.