Gas cooktop problems

vivac, Sep 1, 5:42pm
Our gas cooktop started playing up the other day. The thing lights as per usual but then the flames get smaller and smaller until it dies out. It does it on all elements.
Its run from a 9Kg bottle outside the house piped in and has worked well since its install a couple of years a go.
To me it looks like a regulator problem, even though it was new on install.
Anything else it may be?

jmma, Sep 1, 6:31pm
Running out of gas :oP

wembley1, Sep 1, 8:21pm
I agree. Enough gas left in the bottle to "pump up" the system and light the hob but not enough to keep gas flowing past the regulator.

snoopy221, Sep 1, 8:44pm
Well if ya tellin no fibbies and ya run on a 9kg bottle for 2 years then pretty good chance it jusssss myt be low

pisces47, Sep 2, 7:36am
This is what I am installing now. 4 burner with wok burner and a 9kg bottle. I envisioned a refill in around 3 / 4 months.

gph1961, Sep 2, 7:50am
we got that just 2 of us and bottle lasts about 4 months

planespotterhvn, Sep 2, 8:22am
If the gas bottle is outside in the cold weather and frosts, the liquid can freeze in the cylinder and not evaporate into gas.
Drawing gas from a cylinder will further chill it so it will light but slowly reduce in performance until the gas flow stops completely.
Bring the cylinder into the warmth of the house between uses, build a heated cabinet around the cylinder, Get gas with a winter mix of less butane and more propane.

wembley1, Sep 2, 11:05am
Butane and propane freeze at -140°C & -188°C respectively. This winter hasn't been that cold. :-)

I think what you are talking about is their boiling points which are -1°C & -42°C for butane and propane.

So if you have a frost outside the butane component of your LPG will cease to evaporate.

vivac, Sep 2, 1:30pm
OK, we are in Auckland so its not that cold and the first thing i did when it played up was get the bottle filled.
Tried another bottle too so its not the bottle.

vivac, Sep 2, 1:31pm
We refill about every 5-6 months, only two of us here though.

terri01, Sep 2, 2:45pm
It still could be the "new" bottle that has been filled, try purging the bottle, sometimes the bottle is not purged enough when it is filled

brightlights60, Sep 2, 6:13pm
Have you thought about getting the gas guy or a plumber who does gas in to look at it?

vivac, Sep 3, 5:47pm
It was the regulator as i thought.
Took it to a combustion control and the guy took it out the back and gave it a quick test, then supplied me a new one that i fitted.
Case closed.

pisces47, Sep 5, 8:25am
Same here, we have gas in the motorhome and the wife loves it. So changing our home solid element hob to gas.

martin11, Sep 5, 8:38am
planespotterhvn wrote:

Build a heated cabinet around the cylinder,/quote]

Very dangerous and illegal to enclose a gas bottle in a cabinet ,any cabinet must be well ventilated to the outside air . Thats why the bottle in a kitchen cupboard is now illegal unless the cupboard is well vented to the outside and has no electrical points in the cupboard .

sanders4, Sep 12, 6:19pm
an electric induction hob is as efficient as gas but you can not be killed by accidental leakage, best to do some homework before gas install as costs can be crippling. Lpg needs copper from bottle outside and natural gas will cost a dollar a day whether you use it or not for supply charge - go figure

wembley1, Sep 27, 3:02am
What makes you think an LPG piping carcass need to be in copper?

Perhaps the user has a pacemaker and shouldn't be going near an induction hob.