Shower Door Glass - Repurpose !

onl_148, Dec 20, 2:49pm
I'm currently thinking out-loud and out side the square. can I have the glass out of an old shower door cut to size etc and repurpose as a top for a coffee table ? i.e. can I get a glass place, with the right tools etc to cut it to size and "bevel / smooth" the edges. There is nothing special or usual about shower door glass that would prevent me doing this ? Do I have to talk nicely to the bank manager or take out a mortgage to get the glass cut and bevelled ?

zak410, Dec 20, 3:24pm
NO. Toughened glass cannot be easily recut.

stevo2, Dec 20, 6:33pm
^^This ^^

supernova2, Dec 21, 9:26pm
Toughened can't be cut at all - it just shatters like an old fashioned car windscreen.
However if its a laminated glass (not very common though) then you could get it cut down.
Apart from that how many water stains are on it? Might take a lot of polishing to get it acceptable for a table top.

mrfxit, Dec 21, 9:44pm
Getting laminated glass cut will be expensive compared to std glass
Zak410 is nearly right
Stevo2 is spot on
Can't cut toughened glass as it WILL shatter.

oh_hunnihunni, Dec 21, 9:45pm
Lid on a planter box - for seedlings out of season.

pauldw, Dec 21, 10:21pm
Stevo2 is repeating Zak410's answer so is only as spot on as Zak. Toughened glass has to be annealed (untoughened) before it can be cut then toughened again. Most glass companies would probably solve the problem by dropping the original and doing it cheaper from scratch.

mrfxit, Dec 22, 7:54am
Mmm 900 degree's oven & left cooling for 8 hours minimum to de temper glass.

Yea sure, can see that happening a lot.

Best advise is simply ,. NO.
(unless theres a very very VERY good reason)

onl_148, Dec 22, 12:56pm
ok. thanks for the advise. I think I'll leave the shower doors in the "big blue bin" and put up for a while longer with the wooden top to the coffee table !
it will save me man handling the piece of glass into my vehicle and taking it to the glass place, only to have them laugh at me and say "no, sorry sunshine, no can do".
I think I'll leave it in the bottom of the dumpster and drop something heavy on it. the resultant bang and shatter will bring out the little boy in me !

zak410, Dec 22, 6:21pm
LOL, and it's precisely why I responded as I did @#2. "NO" included.

junie2, Dec 22, 8:57pm
I'm with oh hunni hunni, sort of. Have had our old one built in to a cobbled together glass house. Better than dumping it I reckon.

stevo2, Dec 23, 5:29am
Same reason I agreed with Zak410 at #4
I knew it wasnt impossible and I could see he knew it too.

supernova2, Jan 23, 1:55pm
I don't believe that "toughened" can be recut at all.

If you go to the bother of reheating etc etc then it's no longer "toughened' glass and has been converted into a different product.