Raised vegetable garden, what to plant?

omaria, Oct 12, 2:22pm
My husband is building this for me as we speak. We live in Henderson. What best to plant this weekend?

docsportello, Oct 12, 2:36pm

lythande1, Oct 12, 2:46pm
What do you WANT to grow? Plant those.

omaria, Oct 12, 2:46pm
Thanks but thats mostly with seed, i rather start with young plants, im hungry see.

omaria, Oct 12, 2:47pm
I like All vegetables but what grows best in west Auckland and what can i plant now?

veejay13, Oct 12, 3:15pm
Courgettes, Butternuts, Silverbeet,Spinach, lettuce, herbs, potatoes, tomatoes. You could put in cabbages, if you're prepared to fight the white butterfly.

lissie, Oct 12, 3:16pm
I'm in Wellington and have the same question - I believe tomatoes aer planted Labour Weekend here - so imagine it would be OK in Auckland by now as you are so much warmer

docsportello, Oct 12, 3:19pm
Don't forget, extreme UV/high temperatures and humidity in the West, Mid-February until Mid-Late April. Unless you're growing something like Okra, that period is the death zone for most stuff. So make your plant/harvest calculations with that in mind. Otherwise, shoot down the motorway to Kings St Lukes (not Lincoln road), or through the tunnel and out to Bunnings Onehunga (only takes 8mins), and pick up a selection of consistently good quality seedlings of your choice. Think about interspersing some lowgrowing annuals with your veges, to provide cover for benefical insects - it helps a little bit, and looks nice if nothing else.

sossie1, Oct 12, 3:24pm
I am a pretty useless gardener, but my fave always work plants are mixed lettuce and mesclun seeds, dwarf beans and variety of cherry tomatoes, spring onions, makes a salad

omaria, Oct 12, 3:49pm
Hey doc why not kings on Lincoln? Thats where i get most my plants.

mtbotrev, Oct 12, 8:59pm
broad beans

macandrosie, Oct 16, 2:08pm
If you ever come across an old Yates gardening manual they are helpful for the different growing regions of NZ. I would say you can plant anything in Auckland just now. I'm in Southland & have had everything I want in for the last month. You just have to watch out for late frosts.

amasser, Oct 16, 5:24pm
If space is limited, to get the best value, plant what you like but is expensive in shops, or what you most often eat.

cleggyboy, Oct 16, 6:27pm
In Auckland I suggest leave it another month for beans, otherwise most other veges are O.K. from now on.

genpat, Oct 18, 5:10am
Husband built one and I am so pleased with it wish it was bigger.Complete novice but everything is growing well.Had varieties of lettuce,herbs, silver beet,etc.Made a few mistakes like the broccoli maybe too many and too large, has taken over but growing really well.Just got cherry tomatoes in, courgettes.Probably making mistakes but loving it.North Auckland so never need to water ! Not yet anyway.

lythande1, Oct 18, 7:43am
Everything except swedes and parsnips and other cool climate veges.
Now? Peas (not mid summer), beans, courgette, capsicums, tomatoes, potatoes, kumara, radish, corn, the list is huge.

omaria, Mar 4, 4:01pm
Yup its all in and most of them looking good. A few a bit droopy but now water 2x a day and that seems to do the trick. Also planted marigolds between them to keep away the worst of the bugs (advice I was given)