Mushrooms keep appearing in vegetable garden

canarylegs, Feb 1, 5:21am
I have a medium sized vege raised patch and I am constantly getting mushrooms around the tomatos, strawberries and lettuces. I have been taking them out and putting in the bin but not sure why or where they are from. Just before I took out 12 mushrooms the most ive got out but I would say 15 this week . Any ideas ?

-bookzone-, Feb 1, 5:30am
Spores in the potting mix that your plants were growing in before they were planted?

canarylegs, Feb 1, 5:32am
ok thank u I did it ages ago, is it safe to eat all from the garden ?

ianab, Feb 1, 5:36am
Your veges are safe, even if the mushrooms are suspect.

The fungus will still be breaking down organic material in compost that's been added to the soil at some point, This is natural and normal, and wont affect the plants. This then frees up the nutrients for your plants to use. The mushrooms are only the "seed heads" of the fungus in the soil.

-bookzone-, Feb 1, 5:38am
As long as you are certain they are edible mushrooms, they would be fine to eat.

canarylegs, Feb 1, 5:43am
no I wont eat the mushrooms just the other veges around it I was worried about

owen106, Feb 2, 9:04am
Recycle by putting the mushrooms into your compost bin.

canarylegs, Feb 3, 6:09am
No just normal potting mix / compost I would have brought in bags at Bunnings I think. Didn't put anything in just water & quash for snails I don't do anything else to my garden and everything grows good just not used to mushrooms

charie4, Jul 31, 9:41am
Nothing wrong with the mushrooms if you don't want them send them to me.